I'm assuming Title IX would still apply
by DakotaDomer (2022-05-11 14:13:51)

In reply to: Scholarship limits next thing out the door  posted by ryND

Is that an incorrect assumption? I always thought the scholarship #s had to be equal

Perhaps
by novadamer  (2022-05-12 09:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm no lawyer, but I believe Title IX would only apply to student-athletes. So if the schools spin-off the Athletic Department totally, or just football, they avoid Title IX and solve their existing imbalance in one fell swoop.

As in, the Wolverines (associated with the) University of Michigan. Maybe include five or ten scholarship athletes as a nod to the old amateur model, but the rest are employees of an independent association. The majority would not receive scholarships, would not need to attend classes, and would not affect Title IX.

And it would end college football as we know it.

It doesn't "have" to be. But it's the only fail-safe
by tdiddy07  (2022-05-11 14:23:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

safe harbor to avoid a lawsuit. There are allowances for two others prongs: a history of expanding opportunities for the underrepresented sex or demonstrating you've met campus demand. But I believe the first alternative prong is more transitional. And schools arguing the third prong lost that argument decades ago, so all schools went for proportional representation.

Right. The big loser here will be non-revenue mens sports. *
by BillShakespeare  (2022-05-11 14:21:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post