Realistically how many more scholarships would happen?
by OITLinebacker (2022-05-11 17:05:06)

In reply to: Scholarship limits next thing out the door  posted by ryND

I mean the top end programs could offer and take the top 80 kids per class, but wouldn't most of those be looking to transfer as out? Playing time is important to a lot of players. If you go to a school and get buried on the depth chart within your own class (much less the entire roster), wouldn't you be shopping schools before summer workouts were over before you even started class?

If a kid is a top recruit with a big NIL package
by Nyirish08  (2022-05-11 19:47:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't they simply not give them scholarships, have them be preferred walk-ons, and siphon some money to "tuition" payments?
Seems like there's already a workaround or two.

with class sizes 30-40 that yields 120-175+ on the roster
by OITLinebacker  (2022-05-12 08:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

5-6+ deep on all of the position slots. There would have to be one hell of a NIL to keep the guys who aren't likely to crack the 2 deep. Maybe, maybe a few elite schools/coaches can convince guys to remain in the "system" for a chance to play for a championship/draft slot senior year. The transfer portal will see a lot of disgruntled players, with fewer options of places to go if most teams have an overstuffed depth chart. FCS and D2/D3 schools might have a harder time getting recruits out of high school, but they might have an avenue for filling out a very competitive roster filled with transfers.

I'm skeptical that this is going to be that problematic
by KeoughCharles05  (2022-05-11 17:15:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for two reasons.

1) As you suggest, I don't think there's too many more players that schools could keep around; but

2) Even if they are, is it really a bad thing if there's more kids on scholarship at school?

The change I'd like to see is making scholarships be guaranteed renewable at the option of the athlete.

How erudite *
by ACross  (2022-05-11 19:27:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey look at that, a post without ass clowns! *
by KeoughCharles05  (2022-05-12 00:34:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post