teams are usually either even (4 man) or odd (3 man)
by jt (2022-05-12 22:08:54)

In reply to: Don’t you need a center that does both well? Same for guard  posted by Btd

fronts. Sure, you can move a guy over to nose to play a 0 technique on the center, but then you have to change the LB responsibilities, etc. It's not as simple as just "hey, line up here."

Sure, some teams (like ND) can jump in and out of fronts, but that's the exception.

True - but across 12 games we have both
by Btd  (2022-05-12 23:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So do you need to be equally good against both? Even if only a Bama type team perhaps can be both to some extent - and for a bowl even more
So if they think we are weaker for one v other.

In any event - i guess I’m rooted in Holtz saying never move a star from
One spot to fill a different hole. You take one great and one weak spot and often create two weaker spots. But - OL does seem to be far more common for a player to shift spots across years. Bama had a center in 2012 that I think was AA at
More than one spot over his final two years, for example. We’ve also had LT that started at RT earlier, etc.

I don't think it is a 6/6 split
by jt  (2022-05-13 11:19:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but maybe it is.

I don't know enough about the players to comment one way or the other. This is one of those areas where I trust the OL coach, at least until I see some game evidence one way or the other.