If they really think Buchner is the starter for next year
by Nyirish08 (2022-12-02 14:10:33)

In reply to: Drew Pyne transferring (link)  posted by mocopdx

There is no way he should come back quickly postop and risk getting hurt worse in an exhibition bowl game. There is zero upside.
Or the thought is that someone else will likely be the starter and Buchner isn't an essential cog and they can roll his shoulder out there.
That seems like KElly thinking though, not what we have seen of Freeman.

Transfer QB, Buchner, Minchey, and Angeli all out rank
by btd  (2022-12-02 14:21:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

him going into next season. At best he would be a tie with Minchey -- but with him coming in early, that's not even all that likely. Basically, every QB we have on our roster even before any transfer has a higher ceiling than Pyne and likely no lower floor.

Angeli now has a year in the system and is Book compared to Pyne. Minchey has true QB size and with spring ball it isn't impossible for him to be viewed as worth a shot over Pyne -- or being rotated in to start. Buchner beat him out once.

The incoming transfer QB is the largest issue though for Pyne. Any transfer we get will have started as much or more as Pyne and will be 6'2" or taller with a bigger arm. It is a low bar.

Pyne is cashing in on this season while he can to get a starting spot on a low end P5 school.

you state opinions with unwarranted certainty
by vivaflanner  (2022-12-02 17:10:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have no idea how good Angeli or Minchey are.

Yes, I do
by btd  (2022-12-02 18:29:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You seem to be incapable of grasping what the definition of a ceiling is. It is not proven performance. It is possible performance.

This week alone there have been hours of online sessions precisely on this topic across 4-5 pay sites. Every one of them says the same thing - Angeli has demonstrated in practices very clearly that he has a higher ceiling than Pyne. That alone makes my opinion informed. Then later in my college football player roommates have seen him practice several times and also say the same thing. Again, meaning my opinion isn’t out of thin air.

Buchner continues to have a higher ceiling too - just less reason to think he can ever get there mostly because he gets injured repeatedly.

Size alone makes Minchey by definition have a higher ceilng - again, learn the definition and then come back to me.

Cap it all off with every player going into next year will have been in our system 1-3 semesters. None of them will be starting cold, transfer and Minchey included.

Pretty sure that his M.O *
by DBCooper  (2022-12-02 18:01:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's ridiculously and comprehensively wrong.
by tdiddy07  (2022-12-02 16:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been a constant critic of Pyne's game. But your statement is delusional. Pyne would certainly beat out Minchey next year. He would very likely beat out Angeli based on any available reports about his progression. (Sure, sophomores who haven't played surprise sometimes. But that's not the norm.) And he should likely currently have the edge on Buchner, given his total lack of both experience and mechanical development. That is the closest of those on the roster. But given how Buchner would be used, he may get hurt again anyway. Every single one of these guys has a lower floor than Pyne. For all his faults, he minimized turnovers and effectively managed the game. His efficiency rating was the best since Clausen.

We should seek out an upgrade in the portal. No doubt. And I certainly hope they can get an upgrade. But Pyne currently is the most reliable backup option from those remaining.

Agree with this. Pyne would be better than Buchner as backup *
by NDQuebec  (2022-12-02 17:35:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We know nothing about Angeli from a game perspective
by localirishfan  (2022-12-02 14:25:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can't say he is Book compared to Pyne when has had no meaningful playing time. For all we know, he is no better than Pat Dillingham

Yes you can
by btd  (2022-12-02 14:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The decision on who plays is based 100% on potential and 0% based on performance to date. That's how it works in college when you don't have an established star and even more so when you have a 5'8" guy you have now seen the ceiling of in 10 games.

Angeli is true college size and has already shown an arm similar in nature to Book. That makes him Book at this same point in time and also graded out as someone with that type of potential. That also makes him a higher ceiling QB than Pyne.

It is largely moot though, because this is all 100% tied to the incoming transfer QB -- who will have started as many or more (likely) than Pyne and will be a normal sized QB for a top 25 team.

Pyne is also doing a 3 year evaluation and knows he can't start 3 more years at ND -- absolutely zero chance of that happening. He's cashing in now while he can.

That logic is absolutely asinine.
by Bobby OShea  (2022-12-02 20:54:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The decision on who plays is based 100% on potential and 0% based on performance to date."

When I coached, I attended many clinics. I learned many things from them.

The best lesson I ever learned was from a clinic held by the Fresno State staff. This was in Pat Hill's heyday there. When they would play anybody, anywhere, anytime.

And these were the words of Pat Hill that stayed with me:

"Always play production over potential".
Period.

If that is the case, why didn't he play?
by localirishfan  (2022-12-02 14:45:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How do you know his ceiling is higher? Just because he is taller and a bit of a stronger arm? There are QB's that are 6'5" with cannons for arms but aren't very good quarterbacks

Agree that Pyne is cashing in on his value, but disagree with your assessment of Angeli

6'5" with cannons for arms but aren't very good quarterbacks
by ram  (2022-12-02 14:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Phil Jurkevec thread is 2 doors down

See also
by nd06seattle09  (2022-12-02 15:25:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Drew Lock.