My hunch is Rees announces departure after Bowl Game
by Erasmus (2022-12-02 16:58:41)

In reply to: Drew Pyne transferring (link)  posted by mocopdx

To be clear I have no inside knowledge. My hunch about Rees is based largely on two premises: 1) Faith in Freeman. Based upon Freeman's knowledge plus his connections to Tressler and others he knows Rees must go. 2) Rees's play calling was more than just mediocre, it was terrible. The Navy game second half was the worst play calling I have witnessed as a college football fan for sixty years. (Note: I claim no expertise other than longtime fan and common sense.)

I didn't realize until before the BC game how much Rees depended upon McNulty -- last year's tight end coach and now BC's OC. McNulty wanted to stay at ND. After taking BC OC job McNulty said he spent more time on phone with Rees each week than he did with his own wife. Rees was in way over his head. Kelly used Reese as a surrogate -- as a front for Kelly to keep calling the plays. Without Kelly and McNulty, it was clear this year Rees needed to go.

Freeman is smart enough to have never said anything negative (explicitly) about Rees during the year. This will allow Rees to leave gracefully. No later than after the bowl Rees will announce he has taken another position.