once they enter into the transfer portal
by jt (2023-03-19 21:49:23)

In reply to: Roster at 93 & needs to get to 85. 247 says 7 have been told  posted by Hickster

Notre Dame's "commitment" to them (as it were) is no longer applicable. I suppose that anything is possible, but it would be unlikely.

Also, every single guy would know prior to going into the portal what his options would be (at a minimum). There would be no surprises. True story--I know an FCS player who was approached by 3 different schools over winter break about a spot being open at their school should he enter the portal (he was not in the portal at the time).

That would be an unforgivably bush league move by ND.
by tdiddy07  (2023-03-21 09:35:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would also be anticompetitive and should be impermissible as a matter of policy.

Houston Griffith
by jamnd74  (2023-03-20 10:14:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Huston Griffith enter the transfer portal and eventually decided to return to ND for his final year. So it seems to be possible that a player can enter the portal and then decide to return to his original school. I believe there is a deadline for making a decision.

Sure. But he returned to play football.
by NDMike2001  (2023-03-20 15:35:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A player can obviously choose to return to the school if that is something the coach wants. The question is whether the school will be willing and able to provide a scholarship to the individual if he wants to return to Notre Dame but not play football after the coaches have told him to explore his options.

it's up to the school
by jt  (2023-03-20 11:21:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of course anything is possible; my apologies if I wasn't clear in my initial post.