No it doesn't.
by nohow (2023-03-23 10:38:34)

In reply to: The first paragraph demonstrates why that belief is wrong...  posted by FL_Irish

All those benefits (degrees, lessons in leadership and teamwork, etc.) are available at lower divisions of athletics where essentially no revenue comes from licensing (television or merchandising) agreements.

Why does Jimbo Fischer make $10 million/year at TAMU while Tim Murphy makes $75 thousand/year at Harvard?

You realize you're citing Murphy's salary from 1993, right?
by FL_Irish  (2023-03-23 12:17:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See linked article.

Nonetheless you are correct that college athletics does not require (and usually does not involve) coaches who make 8 figures. But even in the places where it does involve coaches making 8 figures, that doesn't mean that that's all that is going on. Though it often isn't, college athletics can be both a lucrative business AND something that furthers the educational mission of a university.

Admittedly, I did not double check Google, and
by nohow  (2023-03-23 12:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't find an updated number easily. Either way, we both know there is a world of difference in salary between the two.

Something else to consider...You use Notre Dame's men's basketball team as an example of college athletics at its best. What happened to the head coach? Why?

He got eased out due to non-performance?
by FL_Irish  (2023-03-23 12:47:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which I can assure you happens at every level of college athletics. I'm not sure I follow your point?

That college athletics can provide an invaluable education doesn't mean that winning isn't also important. Indeed, winning and what it takes to win are part of that education.

Non-performance of what?
by nohow  (2023-03-23 13:01:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ensuring the students were prepared for life outside of athletics? Isn't that the stated goal of the NCAA? Did Brey fail at this? Or was he fired for not winning enough games?

The NCAA and its member institutions will hide behind an academic mission at every convenient opportunity. However, their athletic decisions are ultimately driven by their wallets, not the wellness of their students.

He was fired for not winning enough games
by FL_Irish  (2023-03-23 13:18:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which:

(1) Nobody has ever beaten around the bush about as a fundamental goal for college coaches. Pretty much every school competing in college athletics at any level wants to win.

and

(2) As noted, I would argue is not incompatible with or even unrelated to the mission of preparing students for life outside of athletics. The hard work, perseverance in the face of adversity, etc. needed for winning are part of what helps prepare students for life.

But maybe just to cut to the chase, could you spell out what it is you'd like college athletics to look like in your dream scenario? Little to no money involved? Wins and losses not a determining factor in coaching decisions?

If you could wave a magic wand and design the system from scratch, what would it look like?

Either eliminate the money or accept that they're a business *
by nohow  (2023-03-23 14:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post