it doesn't cost anywhere near that much
by jt (2023-03-23 12:43:04)

In reply to: There are many complications in the "pay college athletes"  posted by Irishdog80

35k per year at a public institution? No way. Perhaps half of that, including all of the other stuff beyond tuition. I will use several schools that I am relatively familiar with--U of NM, NMSU, U of Colorado, CSU and Wyoming. For a student with even decent grades and/or limited financial ability, you're looking at maybe 10k per year. We had one guy at NMSU figure out that he could have actually been going to school for free without football simply because of his grades and how desperate they are for kids.

At Notre Dame? Certainly. And that's the point that should have been made during recruiting over and over and over and over until the coaches and administrators were blue in the face.

I used Kansas State costs as my basic number for public
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-23 13:00:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

institutions...see article. Frankly some are more, some will be less. Add in the following:

--Wardrobe...Nike, Adidas, Under Armour gear...likely around $500-1000 per year
--Stipend...anywhere from $1000 to much more depending upon travel, etc.
--Upgraded Room and Board--$1-5000 per year for steak and lobster meals and better accommodations than the typical student
--Tutoring $1000+

See link below.

so you're using a power 5 school as the basis?
by jt  (2023-03-23 13:12:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps you should look up NMSU or UNM, or perhaps Nevada.

I will save you the time--go ahead and subtract most of those things, except for perhaps the clothes (although I don't know about $500-$1000).

Get rid of the stipend.
Upgraded room and board only works if that's available (which it really isn't at most non-power 5 schools) and is really an unnecessary perk anyway.
You can also subtract tutoring for most of the guys, but I suppose for the bottom 15% or so having someone do their homework.......errrrrrrrrr....keep them accountable for getting their work done is valuable.

If you are a true non-Power 5 school you will not be paying
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-23 15:31:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

your athletes since you would not have the revenue base to do so. What's your point?