"Some deserve it more"
by jt (2023-03-23 14:01:59)

In reply to: I happen to believe getting a tax free full ride scholarship  posted by Irishdog80

Oh, so if you were one of those who deserved more, you would be totally fine with the situation because of the common good and all?

And of course guys like Jack Swarbrick and Gene Smith deserve it most of all. So you would happily give up any portion of the pie so that those guys could create generational wealth, right?

Yes, "some deserve it more". That said, I agree there is
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-23 14:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a ceiling for what that compensation should be. CEO/Coach/Athletic Director, etc. compensation in this country has gone through the roof at the expense of much of the workforce. The same issue applies to sports. If an NFL team overpays for a QB that is league average of underperforms, the team and it's performance is hurt. I am a big believer in performance incentives...too many athletes, corporate executives, entertainers, etc. are overpaid for essentially non-performance and underperforming their replacement level person.

To your point,
by smithwick  (2023-03-23 14:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you look at Lou Holtz's approx. salary in the early 90s (~$120k) to Freeman's salary today ($5-$7m million), you're looking at an around 40x increase.

If you look at the cost of attendance for a ND student over 4 years (cost of a scholarship) in the 90s (~$80-100k) versus today (~$320k), you're looking at a 4x increase.

The disparity is absolutely insane. My guess is if you compared Mike Wadsworth's salary to Jack Swarbrick's, you'd see a similar 30-40x increase.