You have no idea who I know and what I know...so go on.
by Irishdog80 (2023-03-23 15:53:42)

In reply to: I think it's funny that you're lecturing me as to the  posted by jt

I have agreed that high level athletes at major programs put in a lot of hours especially during the season. The concept of "paying college athletes" is not just limited to football and it's not just limited to the top programs in the country. My point is the vast majority of college athletes are handsomely compensated with their scholarships and other benefits. End of story. The issue is only about those that make a difference and how they should be compensated within the overall athletic department budget.

And where am I lecturing? I am expressing a viewpoint...nothing more. You want to lecture me.

and you have no idea who I know
by jt  (2023-03-23 18:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and yet presume to tell me how much these athletes (stars and non-stars) are working and how much they deserve (in your opinion) to be compensated.

You know what? I think that you might have a point. I pay my support staff too much. I need to find a way to lock them out and prohibit them from working anywhere else for at least three years. I will handsomely reward them with some cheap meals, some decent dorm rooms, and some sweat suits and sliders that you value at about $1000/year (snicker). Once they're done working for me for 3 years, I will give them a valuable diploma and a reference and they can go work anywhere for however much they can get; if they did a really good job for me and outperformed expectations, they will likely be able to get fantastic jobs with major firms and earn a 6 figure income. That is a handsome reward from where I sit. And in the meantime, I will go ahead and keep all the profits and divert them to good causes like the church, jobs for my family members, etc.

There is a reason that the judges laugh at this argument, Irishdog80. There is a reason that Notre Dame guys like Jenkins, Swarbrick, and Smith are appealing to Congress.

The market you describe is the old one. Though there has
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 14:34:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been some growing pains with the new transfer rule and NIL, it is a big step in the right direction. The market has changed so your "argument" regarding your support staff, etc is not valid today. You are shouting into the wind.

Your argument is solely for the big time college sports. My argument has always been about the general concept that a full tuition, room and board and other benefits...much more than the average student...is fair compensation for an 18-22 year old college athlete. If you are arguing about the blue bloods of college sports and the big money making sports, I am pretty much on your side.