Thankfully, ND has many whom are both!
by Irish2003 (2023-03-23 17:04:28)

In reply to: They also are among the best in the nation at their sport  posted by wpkirish

I do not profess to have a silver bullet for the "NIL" situation and fully agree some level of compensation is long overdue yet with the system being also abused, but as an example, a classmate was the first female 4.0 CHEG graduate....and also captained an elite WSOC team that could have won an NC. Women's soccer did not derive a single dollar of revenue from my student game attendance as a free sport, yet many of these fellow alumni have become very successful after; to paraphrase Ike's "I want a man for a dangerous mission. Send me a West Point football player", I may amend to please let me work with the Olympics sports walk-on who woke up at 5am when no one on campus was watching, yet also graduated & became a successful doctor, businessperson, teacher etc. This might be my blue & gold tinted glasses, but I do think ND has done an incredible job with the sports out of the limelight but whom end up wonderful representatives of our University, and no problem whatsoever on my end with them getting scholarships and some sort of monetary compensation.