We all make choices about how we spend our time. If a
by Irishdog80 (2023-03-23 23:11:49)

In reply to: Baseball players have summer league games  posted by jt

kid wants to play summer baseball to pursue his career in baseball instead of digging ditches, I think that is a reasonable choice by the athlete. Are they working full time in the Cape Cod league and similar? I hear it's a good time. I also know they aren't paid at all for their work.

Your view seems to be Notre Dame centric. I assure you most colleges can not afford to pay their athletes any more than tuition, room and board and I am confident many student-athletes are happy to have the opportunity. Paying players is a slippery slope that most school's can't afford to stand on.

then if they can't afford to pay their employees
by jt  (2023-03-23 23:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ditch the TV money and get out of the game.

That's how the market works, irishdog.

The employees are being paid with an athletic scholarship
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 01:07:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with a market value that far exceeds the compensation for most 18-22 year olds. Why is that hard for you to understand? Oh, that's right. You're the guy that thinks people pay to watch 2 and 3 star guys and the game "wouldn't exist" without them. Sounds like the whining of a wannabe player.

Have you bought the XFL jersey for your regional team? Maybe your favorite player on the Brahmas or the Battlehawks is available for an appearance and jersey signing. Check out the declining ratings in the attached for a league without stars and big name teams. Hilarious. You're wrong about most of what you have said.

...which is less than what the market can bear
by jt  (2023-03-24 10:44:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We don't artificially reduce people's income simply because some employers can't or won't pay.

It's not your place to determine what something is worth. The market can and does pay more.

You are 100 percent incorrect.

You say, "The market can and does pay more". OK, prove
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 13:53:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

your point. What does the current market pay for an 18-22 year old college football player? D1? D2? D3? NAIA?

Thanks.

right now, there are artificial (and probably illegal)
by jt  (2023-03-24 17:15:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

barriers to receiving compensation.

Boy, are you dense.

You didn't answer my question. Look at it again. *
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 17:24:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did
by jt  (2023-03-24 17:44:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and you are still dense.

"compensation" would assume taxable income. I don't believe these players are receiving any compensation because the NCAA is an illegal cartel.

You didn't.
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 18:47:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What does the current market pay for an 18-22 year old college football player? D1? D2? D3? NAIA?
or more succinctly, what SHOULD the market pay an 18-22 year old college football player? D1? D2? D3? NAIA?

This is kind of strange.
by MrE  (2023-03-24 13:57:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You realize D1 players aren't unionized and aren't paid, but coaches are making $10M per year, Northwestern is building a $700M football stadium, and TV contracts are in the billions now. And under-the-table payments have set some level of competition for talent in a "black market" of sorts, which is now coming to light with above-the-table NIL deals, to some extent, albeit in a clunky and not perfectly efficient fashion.

Swarbrick and Co are desperately trying to build the case for not paying CFB players their market value (40-50% of revenue).

My point is we are talking about different worlds. The
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 14:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

blue bloods of college football and to a lesser degree, basketball, hockey, wrestling at Iowa, etc all make a lot of money that makes the whole concept of paying the athletes a valid discussion. If you break it down to the idea of "pay college athletes", it becomes a lot more complicated. Paying college athletes across all sports other than a full tuition plus room and board, is not viable for the lion's share of college sports...893 schools play college football, around 5300 total schools play some form of sports.

If the idea of 40-50% of revenue was applied, the college football world would be cleaved into 50-75 programs that can pay...to varying degrees...and everybody else. The idea of Notre Dame's "4 year degree" would be tossed out the window...and every player would be a free agent every year with teams bidding on the talent available within the "salary limits" each school has. In short, a minor league for pro football.

Sounds like the free market to me.
by smithwick  (2023-03-24 14:58:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the idea of 40-50% of revenue was applied, the college football world would be cleaved into 50-75 programs that can pay...to varying degrees...and everybody else.

Yes, this is exactly what is going to happen. The schools that generate TV revenue will be in one bucket and those that don't will be in another bucket.

The idea of Notre Dame's "4 year degree" would be tossed out the window.

It will certainly be lessened, but football is still not going to be a viable career path for many of the players. I think many players will still be interested in a ND degree while also earning their fair market value.

every player would be a free agent every year

This is already in effect. And guess what, every student can be a free agent every year if they want.

teams bidding on the talent available within the "salary limits" each school has.

IF the coaches and ADs can be bidded on by all teams for millions of dollars, why not the players too?

So if the college football players at the Top 50-75 programs
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 15:28:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

get 40-50% of the revenue, what happens to the funding for all other "loss leader sports that have previously received funding from the varying success of the football program?

In order to compete with the other programs, the ND "four year commitment" would have to be gone. Add in the issues ND has with transfers admissions and the Fighting Irish would suffer against their soon to be former peers in college football.

I agree that players should be able to be free agents.

And be careful what you wish for applies to bidding wars for college athletes. The result would be a dwindling supply of viable opponents...no one wants to watch a team of superstars play an objectively bad team. If it happens, the 50-75 will become 25-35 viable programs that mirrors the NFL. I also doubt that most college administrations would agree to 40% revenue sharing so there is that issue too.

I'm sorry to hear about those loss leader sports
by jt  (2023-03-24 17:16:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not sure why it should concern the football players. What value do they get from those sports?

Perhaps the athletic department can and would lower their expenses down if they wanted to support those sports and saw value there.

If the Univeristy values these items why can they fund them?
by wpkirish  (2023-03-24 16:36:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every time we say we cant afford X we are saying I dont value X enough to forego Z. Maybe those players dont get the same amount but they get something more than they do today.

I am not saying I have completely settled on all the answers but contiuing a system where the players dont get paid just because that is how it has always been isnt right.

The answer, run correctly, is NIL. At most programs,
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 17:31:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the college football program would be shut down due to no longer being in the "haves" and being a big cost center and ultimately liability. The money would go up for players in the "haves" and would disappear for the "have nots".

Players get a scholarship and other benefits plus earn NIL money as their performance proves they deserve. I have heard $10-15,000 bandied about as a possible "wage" above and beyond the scholarships and benefits plus NIL money. That number seems fair and equitable for largely unproven talent on the collegiate level along with other items they receive.

the answer is most certainly not NIL
by jt  (2023-03-24 17:45:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the shortcut and short term approach is NIL, but it is problematic for everyone.

The answer is likely a de facto minor league setup for some programs and club status for others.

We essentially agree. NIL is a tough nut to crack but is a
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 19:20:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

big step in the right direction if run correctly.

I think a football player avg wage of $407,000 is fair &
by MrE  (2023-03-24 17:34:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

equitable. Plus full scholarship.

NIL would be gravy on top earned the way Aaron Rodgers gets paid by State Farm, or Michael Jordan by Gatorade.

(this is just for Major CFB players, not any other athletes).

Are you also aware NFL Practice Squad guys earn on average
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 20:44:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the whole season, $277,200. The percentage of NCAA D1 football players that make it to the NFL is 1.6% of players. Do you want to reconsider your number?

my number is light as it only gives players 40% of revenue
by MrE  (2023-03-24 22:36:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

50% rev share should be the solution.

Average wages of an 85-man roster for 50% rev share would be closer to $530,000 per player (on top of their full scholarship).

If they want to have practice squads, so be it.

YOu could ratchet down scholarships to, say, 70, and keep a practice squad of 15 or whatever. Just keep giving $50M a year per program to players in scholarships + wages.

I truly thought you were just kidding around. What sort
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-25 12:29:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of organization would pay entry level 18 year old employees $530,000 per year or anything close to that number?

On another point, if you gave $50M per program to the 120..or so...D1 programs, the total number is $6 billion on the low end. Are you aware how much most "programs" make and do you understand that Notre Dame along with maybe the top tier of Power 5 programs are in rarified air...and that's when the team(s) have a good season. The money is not only flowing at high levels.

other industries: MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL *
by MrE  (2023-03-25 14:58:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

18 yr old adults? CFB = $6B industry (the top 60 teams).
by MrE  (2023-03-25 14:39:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All P5 college programs, save for a few, are operating at 40% to 60% margins in CFB due to the free labor system.

Players should get 50%, or $3B per year.

The most sensible step is to have the NCAA lift it's 3 year
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-26 00:49:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

requirement and let the 18-22 year olds go pro whenever the NFL says they are ready...draftable.

step 1: re-distribute the wealth to the players. But I
by MrE  (2023-03-26 10:52:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like your idea, too.

For who? The NFL rookie minimum is $750,000 and you
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 19:23:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are suggesting unproven 18-22 year olds at Iowa State University or similar should get, on average, $407,000? Sorry, but that is nowhere near realistic.

sure it is. 50/50 rev share just like NHL, MLB, NFL, MLB
by MrE  (2023-03-24 22:39:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all those unproven NFL draft picks sign huge contracts. It's in their CBA.

What should D2, D3 & NAIA football programs pay players? *
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-25 12:37:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

50% of revenues, or maintain status quo. or...who cares?
by MrE  (2023-03-25 14:59:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a different industry from Major CFB, Inc.

Revenues vary by program. A 50/50 split for some would put
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-25 12:35:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the program in the red. Professional sports are focused on one sport. College athletic departments use dollars earned from the revenue producers to fund the non-revenue sports that are a big part of the fabric of a school. Would you pay those other athletes too? They work hard.