The way this country works is that if your employer does
by Irishdog80 (2023-03-24 02:07:03)

In reply to: I obviously agree  posted by jt

not value your contribution to the company, you have the freedom to seek better employment and a higher salary with an organization that appreciates your work. If it turns out other companies do not have the same high opinion that you do for yourself, some introspection and hard work can change your path. The same applies to student-athletes. You are always free to leave if you feel there are better opportunities for you at another school...that is the beauty of the new transfer rules. If you want to stay and get "more money", athletes now have NIL...let the market determine your worth.

Of course for many years the entire system was set up to
by wpkirish  (2023-03-24 12:45:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

prevent athletes from being able to make those moves. In fact the changes you are complaining about coming about as the system moves toward what you are saying is the way it shoud work.

I am honestly baffled about what you believe. Part time but not part time. Overpaid with a a scholarship but should get a living wage.

Sports in our society have changed significantly in the last 40 years. No longer are MLB / NFL / NBA players required to have "real jobs" in the offseason to the pay their bills. You want to compare college football and basketball to minor league baseball bit of course they generate billions more in revenue than minor league baseball.

Uh, some college sports are basically part time, some are
by Irishdog80  (2023-03-24 14:23:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not. For some athletes, due to their family background, the scholarship "pays them" more than enough. Some college athletes come from less privileged backgrounds and need a "living wage" to bring them up to their fellow classmates and athletes level.

"In fact the changes you are complaining about coming about as the system moves toward what you are saying is the way it shoud work." Not sure what you are trying to say in this one.

The top tier of college sports generates a lot of revenue. There are 893 schools playing football. I assure you most are not making money.

I get it. Viewed through the prism of the money sports in college athletics, it makes perfect sense the players deserve more. Viewed in the context of entire athletic departments and budgets for non-revenue sports, the "pay the players" argument gets less sensible.

I am viewing it through the lens of what I think is right.
by wpkirish  (2023-03-24 14:47:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go back to October 15, 1988. Catholics v. Convicts #1 v #4. Lou Holtz was mking something like $300,000 ($762,000 adjusted for inflation) as the head coach. Tickets were $21 ($53.40 adjusted for inflation).

Last year Freeman made somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 million reportedly. Tickets for the worst games had face values that were more than the inflation adjusted price of that game and for the best games were 6 times higher in some cases.

The University has raised hundreds of millions of dollars to expand the Stadium not once but twice. They have raised millions of dollars to build practice facilities for the team indoor and outdoor plus the amenities around the Gug. This is going on at every school to some degree or another and if they chose they could share revenue like every other major sport does in one way or another.

Assuming it is true there is not "enough money to play the athletes" it is because the Universities have chosen to spend the money on other things.

yes, their stupidity and largess cannot be used as an excuse
by MrE  (2023-03-24 14:55:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for not fixing the unpaid labor trick-bag they now find themselves in with the legal system and the professional league of CFB they've been operating for years.

Their hand will be forced on this issue anyways. Hopefully.