there is a very simple reason to keep the academic
by jt (2023-03-27 13:46:08)

In reply to: It's pretty tenuous as it is  posted by ravenium

requirement; it sets up a specific timeframe for when eligibility is concluded. That will be important for setting up rules and parameters for whatever changes take place with any new setup down the line.

The title 9 defense is laughable. You can take offense if you wish, that's your prerogative. Yes, it is something that they will have to work around. No, it will not be a deal breaker like vadbldomer seems to constantly indicate. It's something that the NCAA (and more recently, Notre Dame's president and athletic director) throw out there as a defense, as if they don't already treat different sports and athletes differently. The courts laughed at it, and so should anyone who understands how things work.

jt, you keep mixing apples and oranges w/r/t the "courts
by VaDblDmr  (2023-03-27 14:29:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

laughing" at schools trotting out the Title IX defense. Taking your version of events as true -- that one judge during an oral argument took a dim view of an NCAA attorney pointing out a Title IX problem = all federal judges everywhere, including SCOTUS, dismiss it as a problem -- that in no way means that all federal judges will laugh at a female student athlete suing for what she argues is equitable compensation if/when a couple guys on the football team are making 7 figures directly from the school while she's getting $7.25/hour. Very few judges would laugh at that claim.

But maybe you're right, and that it's all a tempest in a teapot. Maybe student-athletes will be paid like equity law firm partners, eat what you kill. I don't think Title IX allows that. In fact, I'm pretty sure it mandates the antithesis of it. But maybe you're right. After all, you played college football and coached football for 100 years, and I've only watched it.

what happens to title 9 when/if there are no scholarships?
by jt  (2023-03-27 15:51:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially for football?

better question: What happens to title 9 when/if athletes are declared employees?

You do have the NCAA fear talking points down, I will give you that.

I don't give a damn about the NCAA or Swarbrick. I'm high-
by VaDblDmr  (2023-03-27 18:55:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lighting what strikes me as a significant issue that needs to be addressed in wherever this is going.

As to your questions, that's where the rubber meets the road IMO. You have pretty much stated that athletes will remain students. I hope that's right, but I'm curious what you think that would look like in practice. All I'm hearing suggested amounts to "eat what you kill," and I have grave doubts that would pass Title IX muster. The other alternatives are to pay all student-athletes equitably or to eliminate the student aspect entirely. You claim that "nobody" (except me evidently, and now maybe ravenium) is considering the latter and only Swarbrick/NCAA defenders are suggesting it. Well, I don't know who is/isn't suggesting it, but to get to "eat what you kill" and eliminate Title IX, that is the logical endpoint.

But, again, I didn't play college football and coach for decades, so I'm sure those who have know better.

There are complex variables at play
by jt  (2023-03-27 19:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Title 9 is far down the list. Probably top of the list is workman's comp and long term health care issues. Title 9 is a red herring. The ncaa doesn't really care about that, but they do care about long term expenses.

There seems to be an assumption there that girls don't care
by VaDblDmr  (2023-03-27 21:33:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about Title IX, particularly as it would pertain to compensation. I think that's naive, but I could certainly be wrong. Note well, I'm not saying anything about the NCAA or ADs.

Oh, I don't think that's accurate in the slightest
by jt  (2023-03-27 22:15:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think anyone has made that assumption.

there seems to be an assumption on your part, however, that female athletes want to be included on revenues generated from other sports. I don't think that's necessarily accurate. In fact, I have yet to see that claimed by any female athlete anywhere.

however, I have seen the NCAA talking points which basically go something along the lines of, "if we pay the male players, it will ruin women's sports. Why do you hate women?" Of course, anyone even somewhat capable of critical thinking sees that nonsensical argument for exactly what it is.

The solution to specious arguments shouldn't be more
by ravenium  (2023-03-29 13:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

specious arguments. (again, at the risk of politically adjacent topics) People out here are using the ADA to sue the city for not clearing homeless tents. I would postulate they do not actually care about people with disabilities, they wanted a vehicle (or an excuse, depending on how you look at it) for the other issue. Be that as it may, they may actually be legally correct.

Likewise, it could entirely be true that Jack and co are using title 9 as an excuse to not change anything, but that hardly means change isn't a fraught and perilous subject, nor does it mean those who question things under title 9 are all shills for The Man.

You have yet to see female athletes wanting money revenue? I'm pretty sure if you ask the womens' basketball team if they'd like to be paid they'd say "ok!".

Oh sure, they want to be paid
by jt  (2023-03-29 23:05:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hence the request for athletes to be paid minimum wage (as a starting point). I have yet to see female athletes demand to be paid from the same pie as the football players, as an example. That would be silly.

I might be advocating exactly what he fears
by ravenium  (2023-03-27 14:25:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it'd be fine to have football as a ND in Name Only semi-pro sport, separate from the university.

The NFL is getting its milk for free, and the universities don't want to relinquish the cash cow they've developed. It'd take years, if ever, to organically develop the following of university athletics in a minor league. Fine, we're now the owner of the AAA ND Fighting Irish.

Is eligibility a concern? Right now we come up with sort of BS reasons for people to stay for a 5th year anyway. If they're professional athletes with proper compensation, it's just a contract.

I honestly think Title 9 as a defense is about as flimsy as people around here who claim the homeless blocking the sidewalks is an ADA concern - it's a deceptive legal vehicle and a means to an end. However, I would say if I'm a star point guard for ND women's basketball, I'd be sort of pissed that the star point guard for the men's team is making 10x for the same level of effort.

We may do this, but it doesn't make it right, and we shouldn't seek to make it less right. To suggest "that's how things work" ignores the fact that we're trying to fix how thinks work in an equitable (forgive the use of a currently fraught word) fashion.

I tend to agree with you. Why not have both?
by smithwick  (2023-03-27 14:39:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Under a players as employees model, why not endeavor to recruit/employ the same type of kid ND targets right now; hard working, responsible, an asset in the community, etc.

Let's say 80 percent of the team had the grades to earn a ND degree and the other 20 percent, either didn't have the grades/or didn't want a degree, but were still a strong presence in the ND community and wanted to play for the ND brand, but not work towards a degree.

We have statues outside the stadium for Lou and Ara who didn't go to school here and were just "employees" of the university. Are there recruits/individuals out there who may not be suited for the ND classrooms, but are impressive individuals I'd be happy to represent my school and are a net positive to the community? I'd think so.

I wonder if the Bettis model might be a good one
by ravenium  (2023-03-28 12:49:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(in that he came back to finish his degree)

Guarantee four years as part of compensation (and whatever pay model) but you don't say when those four years have to be. You can come back and finish your degree if your NFL career doesn't pan out.