there will be locker room strife.
by MrE (2023-03-27 17:19:50)

In reply to: I mean, what kind of person walks around jealous  posted by jt

so it's probably just best to not give them any of the money and let the coaches and 350 athletic department employees keep it all.

Or spread it among the student body.
by doolinbanjos  (2023-03-28 12:24:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not required to give it either to the athletes or the athletic administration.

Would prefer to end the exploitation of the football players
by MrE  (2023-03-28 17:16:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and pay them handsomely. And not sure the general student population has an entitlement claim for those millions of dollars in revenue, either, but that's just my opinion.

It's been said here before.
by doolinbanjos  (2023-03-28 18:00:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are probably no college students treated better, fed better, and provided more financial benefits than football players. With NIL it is not even close. I do not have a lot of sympathy about how "exploited" they are. I compare them to their peer group - other students.

As to whether the general student population is entitled, I would argue that it is the existence of the general student population that makes developmental football an order of magnitude more financially successful than minor leagues in other sports.

Major CFB is a pro league/$6B industry.
by MrE  (2023-03-28 18:29:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Players in this industry should have free-market rights and be able to negotiate for optimal conditions, compensation, etc. Just like their brethren in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.

They can certainly still be good students, good classmates, and 18-22 years old at the same time.