BTW, you'd like Wetzel/Forde podcast from yesterday.
by MrE (2023-03-28 18:24:01)

In reply to: So it would seem they aren't being forced at all  posted by gregmorrissey

They did a little post-mortem on their interview of Swarbrick from earlier in this week.

Wetzel finds it laughable that the NCAA/C. Baker are trying to turn NIL into a consumer protection concern while ignoring/blocking any progress to a free market system (which apparently Baker ran on politically at some point?), and the joke of a system that major CFB is in that it doesn't allow players the basic right of negotiating.

Thanks. I agreed with the guy against the nanny state
by gregmorrissey  (2023-03-29 09:55:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The transparency guy was full of shit. If they want to require disclosure to the school or another governing body, then it should only go as far as KYC-type reporting and not into actual contract terms.

I get most frustrated about the whole thing when people act like there aren't other models to follow for how to execute and where to put guardrails to protect from bad actors. The NBA and NFL have agent certification and registration requirements. I'm pretty sure both leagues also have rules about the kinds of products that can be endorsed.

I don't love salary caps or even collective bargaining at least to start. I'd prefer running it wide open for 5 or so years to see if universities are able avoid colluding to keep compensation down or, on the other end, bankrupting themselves with bad deals. If, after 5 years, the athletes want to consider unionizing and collective bargaining then it might make sense. Jumping straight there will be a bad deal for the players almost guaranteed.

Regarding "running it wide open for 5 or so years"
by MrE  (2023-03-29 10:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michael Mayer and Drake Maye are recent examples of success stories. Same with Nigel Pack, Nico I (Tennessee QB), Kansas State basketball, et al. The Rashada deal was unfortunate, but probably a necessary learning point for recruits and current CFB players.

I agree a wide-open marketplace (like the real world job market) would be better than unionized labor and salary caps and floors. I bang the 50% rev share drum primarily to show the discrepancy in treatment between Major CFB and the other 4 major pro leagues. 5% vs. 50%.

I believe the free market is much better. Let Ohio State find their $13M and see if that is enough to compete. If not, ratchet it up to $25M, $30M, $60M whatever it takes to pay the players and still have a shot at the national title.

If Northwestern wants to put all their donations from Ryan into a stadium and keep player payroll at $2M a year, pocket the TV money, and go 1-11, so be it.

Better one yesterday (1-hr) - Andy Staples podcast with
by MrE  (2023-03-29 10:07:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dan Wetzel as guest ("Fixing College Football"). Much of the same from Wetzel plus more. Should be required listening for all CFB fans. A couple of highlights:

"Amateurism is a ruse"

"What is morally wrong about paying people money that are good at sports?"

The NCAA and all the ADs are bureaucrats that like rules, structures, codes and would be better off just letting NIL "go" wherever it may go. There is no problem. As Wetzel continually asked Swarbrick "Where's the problem?"