Saban takes transfers every year to fill holes.
by rkellyatrecess (2023-06-02 10:20:23)

In reply to: who is the elite HC we should hire?  posted by DBCooper

The idea that if a coach were good enough, they could build a perfect roster with no transfers and only 85 scholarships is pure wishcasting.

The best living coach does not meet that standard.

What were the total number of transfers Georgia, OSU, &
by MrE  (2023-06-02 10:23:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan put on the field in this year’s CFP?

And yes, I’m aware those schools are adding transfers at a higher clip this year.

Is your goal for ND to compete in 2022?
by rkellyatrecess  (2023-06-02 10:54:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your own post acknowledges that the best teams in college football are all adding transfers, because that makes them better.

I am glad you raised Michigan. Without the transfer of offensive lineman (the same position discussed in the original post) Olusegun Oluwatimi, they likely neither win the Joe Moore Award, nor make the College Football Playoffs.

You give them too much credit
by Wass  (2023-06-02 12:43:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That university has had a LOT of players leave for various reasons under their current coach, a coach that has taken a lot of transfers. Most of his QBs have been transfers.

For that 1 player, did Michigan kick kids off the team to
by MrE  (2023-06-02 11:03:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make room for him? I honestly don't know. They took 3 transfers last year, in fact. So same question - did they force out kids to create the space?

Edit add: And further, I'd rather ND fall a bit short and not do the above.

For this 1 player, would Notre Dame kick kids off the team
by rkellyatrecess  (2023-06-02 11:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame is at 83 scholarship. Those two scholarship are either going to a walk-on or somebody who can play for this team.

Well, that depends how you judge the last X months of
by MrE  (2023-06-02 11:15:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

roster management at ND under Freeman.

I do like the walk-on idea, even though the path to get there is less than ideal.