Random question: performance technologies and the portal
by notra_dahm (2023-06-03 10:31:07)

Some of the discussions below about the turnover in the ND roster, and the challenge that ND faces in assessing talent, player development, etc. made me wonder how much the sports technology advances play a role in making those decisions. Focusing just on evaluating the development of folks in the program already, I wondered whether (or how) they track a player's on-field actions using motion sensors like pedometers, GPS, and accelerometers/gyroscopes, on top of the physiological sensors like heart rate monitors, etc. for level of effort, or fitness.

I assume, like the sabermetrics in Moneyball, the motion sensors can be useful data to cut through to whether the player got to the right spot, and did so on time, and with his body in position to make the play. I also assume it will map out the results after contact is made (e.g., was he spun off the play, pushed back, etc.) To use ACross's favorite phrase, is that even a thing? Is it used to identify areas of improvement, and the progress or lack of learning curve (or just effort) on areas of weakness?

Replies: