there are other ways around it
by jt (2023-06-05 11:46:47)

In reply to: Unsurprising and predictable due to Title IX. IMO, the only  posted by VaDblDmr

I'd love to see the rationale that they'd use in court to show why revenue generated by one group of athletes should be funneled off to another completely unrelated group. That would be like paying the administrative staff from revenues generated directly from the professors and research departments; that money should come from the school's portion of the pie, not the players.

It's not predictable due to title 9, it's predictable due to politics.

I agree.
by doolinbanjos  (2023-06-05 13:11:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you are going to do that, then why not spread it among all student extra curricular performance activities? Theater? Orchestra? Band? Glee Club?

What's the rationale for spreading wealth to some, but not others?

The only way I can see it as remotely fair
by jt  (2023-06-05 15:32:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the athletes would be if the athletes kept the lion's share of all the revenue. They likely wouldn't "deserve" much more than about 45% on their own, so if they got 90% to split among all athletes that would somewhat even things out.

That said, I'm sure that the schools wouldn't find that very fair.