Swarby is setting up his spawn on the gravy train
by Jvan (2023-06-09 01:18:17)

In reply to: Swarbrick stepping down in 2024 (link)  posted by RISteve

That's a major factor with this underwhelming replacement hire.

who could have possibly seen that coming? *
by jt  (2023-06-09 11:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have diversity groups
by tmr779  (2023-06-09 08:23:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been on this yet?

ND has a very good recent track record on hiring minority coaches for three highly visible sports - I do not know abt the record in hiring for high-level administrative University posts

naming the replacement at the same time the retirement is announced doesn't tell us who else was contacted abt or considered for the position. It doesn't seem like the writer at theathletic or other outlets has asked or is going to

from the ND release: "Bevacqua also shares Notre Dame’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. He and Troy Vincent, executive vice president of football operations for the NFL, serve as co-chairs of RISE, an alliance of major sports organizations, including the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and the NCAA that promotes racial equality across the U.S. sports landscape."

replacing one white, male, law school graduate alum with another white, male, law school graduate alum whose previous role is president of your broadcast partner in this manner sounds more "back room hire " than a hire committed to "diversity, equity and inclusion"

Who cares?
by Pghdomer  (2023-06-09 10:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't care less about the DEI angle.

Care a lot about his ability to lead a football program.

we can embrace the genius of the and
by jt  (2023-06-09 12:13:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we can care that it was a thorough process that vetted numerous diverse candidates and we can care about his ability to lead a football program. These are not mutually exclusive concerns.

Rod West *
by ACross  (2023-06-09 12:58:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ties to Holtz = non starter *
by jt  (2023-06-09 14:11:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He played for Holtz
by crazychester  (2023-06-09 16:40:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but keep going

You don't say?
by jt  (2023-06-09 21:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would imagine that would give him ties to Holtz, having played for him and all.

I see your confusion
by jt  (2023-06-09 21:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when I say "non starter" that means that his ties to Holtz make him a non starter for the school as a candidate, not that he didn't start for Lou.

As an aside, it makes him a fantastic candidate in my book, and I don't recall how much he actually played (though I would imagine it is substantial). Would he deserve the job? No idea. Should he have been a candidate? Absolutely. Was he? I don't know, but I tend to doubt it (because of his ties to Holtz, IMO).

yes, i read it the wrong way
by crazychester  (2023-06-10 02:17:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my apologies.

I don't think he played a snap. but he made the team as a walk on which says a whole bunch. He may still be the worst athletic director in the world but his loyalty is not in question

yes, we agree *
by jt  (2023-06-10 11:11:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoosh *
by TAR  (2023-06-09 17:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. Nothing about this hire signals the university is
by Camarillo Brillo  (2023-06-09 07:00:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

serious about returning the football program to national championship status. Bevacqua will likely be a "go along to get along" AD, he won't rock the boat.

Swarmy - FIFY *
by ocmj  (2023-06-09 02:18:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarmy - FIFY *
by ocmj  (2023-06-09 02:18:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post