Saban complaining about NIL
by RJD (2024-03-14 21:25:17)
Edited on 2024-03-14 21:25:57

In reply to: What was your favorite memory from the 12 team playoff era?  posted by mocopdx

from his garage next to his 2023 Portofino M Ferrari.

We should be thankful for him
by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen  (2024-03-15 11:50:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could easily go spend the next 20 years on a golf course. Instead he’s getting involved politically in an attempt to save this sport from its current path of self-destruction.

I don't agree that is what he's currently doing
by jt  (2024-03-15 12:35:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do concede that he might end up doing that.

Look, these guys all see the writing on the wall; I'm sure Saban joins most of his SEC coaching brethren in preferring that the players just got paid directly out of the pie, there was no such thing as NIL, and the portal was the way it was before. But the schools are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into such an agreement. It's not enough to lose a few court cases, they need to be soundly defeated in all of them before they'll give up.

He's not wrong *
by IrishLep  (2024-03-15 08:14:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, but still a hypocrite *
by RJD  (2024-03-15 09:50:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe people should listen to what he is saying
by ACross  (2024-03-14 23:08:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a pathetic bunch of morons on this board.

His comments are completely motivated by self interest
by jt  (2024-03-15 00:06:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of course NIL and the transfer portal are a mess. I would imagine that almost everyone agrees with that.

His issue has to do with control over the process and not the overall fairness to the student athletes nor the disintegration of the NCAA model.

Conceding the point for the time being
by ACross  (2024-03-15 00:48:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Address the merits.

Nobody dislikes the current state of affairs more than me
by jt  (2024-03-15 08:37:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fault lies with the universities and the absolute need for more; more tv money, more buildings, more facilities.

It's brazen. It's exploitative. And Saban was a part of it for a long time and is being a hypocrite now, longing for "the good old days" that pretty much never existed where he worked.