Sorry to hear it
by Chuck84 (2024-03-16 17:19:39)

In reply to: Very sad news. Jimmie Browner has passed away (link)  posted by sprack

His interception to seal victory over 'Bama in '76 was my favorite JB memory.

RIP #33.

P.S., I used to know how to embed videos, but, see 6:55 mark of the video.

stogatz
by jt  (2024-03-17 13:37:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great aerial view of stadium, parking real close to stadium,
by Harv79Pangborn  (2024-03-17 17:18:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Juniper Road running between stadium and coaches offices, etc. Now everything "crammed" together. Noticed the Fighting Irish & leprechaun logo in end zones. The great Ozzie Newsome played. Those guys were fun and fun to watch. Looked like Doug Becker was playing some "press" coverage on the receiver. I'm glad I was there, when I was there ('75-'79).

What a great play, and it was right in front of us in
by sprack  (2024-03-17 15:26:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the student section.

It’s among the pantheon of great end zone defensive pass plays in ND history.

The doubly great thing is the previous time we played Alabama, in the ‘75 Orange Bowl, the game was sealed by Reggie Barnett’s interception in the end zone. Lightning struck twice.

After the game in what was then The Library (the bar, not the one with books), an Alabama guy said to me “Hats off to you, y’all played a great game and deserved to win. But ah shore wish it was a white boy that made that interception!” I was very happy after that comment that it wasn’t.

RIP Jimmie Lee.

September 10, 1971. Bear Bryant scheduled USC in football.
by OldIrishFan  (2024-03-18 12:44:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

USC beat an all white Alabama team 42-21. It has been said that Bryant scheduled the game to show his fan base that Alabama could not compete without black players. Alabama began recruiting black players thereafter. It was a game that changed college football especially in the South. Trivia question. Who was the last all white college football team to win a National Championship?

1969 Texas was the last all white team to win a title.
by MobileIrish  (2024-03-18 17:03:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you probably know, Texas beat ND in the 1970 Cotton Bowl. ND broke Texas winning streak the following year.

Another interesting tidbit. Texas beat Arkansas to
by OldIrishFan  (2024-03-20 11:30:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remain unbeaten and go to the Cotton Bowl. Arkansas was also all white. President Nixon went to the Texas locker room after that game and proclaimed Texas the NC. Notre Dame came close to upsetting Texas but ultimately was done in by a long fourth quarter drive where they converted numerous third and fourth downs. It was a great game in which my Father stated it was one of the best games he had ever seen. I was 10 and had attended the 1969 ND-Army game at Yankee Stadium that previous October. That was also the day the 1969 WS began. Great time to be a kid

Interesting story. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-18 16:17:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a comment from that Bama fan. Damn. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-18 10:51:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post