Dylan Faison (‘26 wr) commits. He’s Jordan’s younger brother
by irishhawk49 (2024-03-18 17:04:23)

Nick Eddy singing Victory March in "Paper Lion"...
by Scoop80  (2024-03-19 11:47:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

starts about 7:00 of this link. The scene was filmed in the SAS senior lounge, which they apparently treated as the cafeteria in the film.

Eddy's singing didn't get a rave review from Alex Karras, who also played himself in the movie.

The first guy who sang was Lem Barney, Hall of Fame safety *
by sprack  (2024-03-19 14:22:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Barney was a corner *
by RJD  (2024-03-20 23:14:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good catch *
by Scoop80  (2024-03-19 19:06:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OMG--a player from St. Andrew's (SAS) verbaling to ND....
by Scoop80  (2024-03-18 21:05:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a one-time Scot, that's BEYOND fathomable to me. I was able to play in a few games in garbage time for the SAS varsity my senior year. Had I still lived outside Chicago and attended Marist then, the very idea of me suiting up for the varsity would've been unthinkable. It wasn't like the (then) Redskins were a FB power in those days. From what I could see in the background in SAS highlight videos, current crowds, as in my day, appear to have been roughly comparable to interhall crowds when I was at ND.

Plus, Marist and SAS were like night and day in sending students to ND. When I expressed an interest in ND, the SAS college guidance counselor suggested to my parents that, if I wanted to attend a Catholic university, maybe I could consider Georgetown. Vandy, Duke, and a student or 2 to the Ivy League were the SAS norms.

I haven't exactly kept up w/ SAS FB over the decades. They still play at the relative level of competition as in my day, and Pine Crest (Jordan's HS) remains their arch-rival. In 2023, they went 9-1 before losing in opening round of the state playoffs. As per your link, Faison had 18 catches and scored 8 TDs. He started both ways, which isn't unusual at that level.

Hey, Jordan shocked me by his frosh accomplishments at ND after coming from Pine Crest. I guess that 1 shouldn't underestimate the Faison family---MF clearly isn't doing so with this offer.

When we moved to the area...
by DakotaDomer  (2024-03-19 10:03:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we were informed that St Andrews was not really a Catholic school in the way a midwestern Catholic school would be.

I don't mean that they were following improper dogma or anything like that...just that the demographics of the school wasn't nearly as Catholic as a Chicago Catholic high school would be.

Does that sound like a fair assessment?

It's not a Catholic school. *
by irishcane  (2024-03-19 10:21:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe I shouldn't have said Catholic...it is Christian..
by DakotaDomer  (2024-03-19 11:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

right?

It's nominally Episcopalian...
by Scoop80  (2024-03-19 11:39:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In my time, the school day started w/ chapel, and there was a 1-semester theology requirement. The text was C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity." It was taught by the school chaplain--Fr. O'Brien. A "Fr. O'Brien" who was married and had kids was an utterly foreign concept to me.

On the whole, it was visibly less Epsicopalian than Marist was Catholic. At Marist, we regularly said an Our Father and/or a Hail Mary before classes. Day before '73 USC game, the son of Jack Connor (and nephew of George Connor) suggested that we pray for a ND win the next day when we stood up for the Our Father at start of history class.

Maybe 20-25% of the SAS students were Jewish then. I have no clue as to what it's like now.

Did you consider riding the bus down to Cardinal Gibbons
by Emil  (2024-03-19 15:25:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Ft. Lauderdale? Just wondering, as a number of my CGH classmates from Boca did that.

Yes, I considered it--there were complications involved...
by Scoop80  (2024-03-19 16:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in transferring at midyear, and I had already started at SAS by the time I got accepted at CGHS. My sister went there.

CGHS sent a LOT of students to ND & SMC in those days. They included Tim Healy, who was a walk-on hoopster who was on the '78 F4 team.

I remember Tim
by Emil  (2024-03-19 16:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't know him personally, but his sister Chris was in my class.

I meant to link something twitter that had his announcement.
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-18 23:04:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure how MaxPreps got in there. But I’m glad you enjoyed it. Jordan was an incredible surprise this season. I hope Dylan can do the same thing.