Maybe we can use it as an excuse to tear out the fake turf
by Grace91 (2024-03-18 19:51:26)

In reply to: They didn't say.  posted by G.K.Chesterton

and go back to real grass. One can dream...

We have tens of millions of extra dollars on its way yearly
by DawsonMayes871  (2024-03-20 08:45:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't really care if we take out the field turf because I see the benefit to being able to host other events in the stadium, but we're not hosting anything but football during the fall. I don't see why we could not have grass for games. Come up with a system to overlay sod in July/August. Have backup ready in case it gets ripped up too much during the season.

We can afford it. We should do it.

That is some deep thinking *
by ACross  (2024-03-20 19:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m going to multiple concerts this summer at CitiField.
by Moff  (2024-03-20 09:37:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They put down the interlocking plastic thingies to protect the grass and the Mets will be back out there playing baseball a few days later. ND could do the same. The turf is there at ND because our 3rd rate former coach claimed it would give him some sort of advantage.

Baseball fields look terrible after concerts
by shea  (2024-03-20 20:09:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND never has any other events in the stadium in-season, though, so I don't see why it matters so much to have turf under the floor for those vs. grass.

Linked is CitiField less than a week after 2 nights of
by Moff  (2024-03-21 02:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dead and Co last summer (I went to both and would feel bad if I messed up my favorite team’s field). The field looks great and perfectly playable for baseball let alone football.

(I say that as someone who once had to have a chipped tooth repaired after getting hit with a bad hop while playing shortstop on a poorly maintained field. As instructed, I had my glove down but the ball made an unexpected beeline to my face. Not as bad as the sizzling line drive that hit me directly in the eye socket while pitching. I wanted to keep playing until I saw the look on my brother’s face as he saw the aftermath. He told me to go in the house immediately and see my mother the nurse. I survived and got better at protecting myself as I got older, but I digress.)

By contrast, I recall how bad the field looked at Shea after an August 1992 Clapton/Elton John concert there, with completely dead grass where the main pathways were. That was the old technology in terms of protecting the grass. As you note, NDs events are nowhere near the football season, and in the case of graduation, involve a relatively small group walking on the field.

Here is a video of the aftermath of the Clapton/Elton John
by Moff  (2024-03-21 03:17:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

concert at Shea a week earlier during the 1992 season. I can’t help but feel partially responsible. At the 14 minute mark, the announcers discuss the visible damage and the effect on outfield play. That was the old technology.

Accept? Winger? Warrant? Ratt? Dokken? *
by ACross  (2024-03-20 19:19:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bingo *
by Grace91  (2024-03-20 13:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The most hallowed fake turf in the land! *
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-20 11:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From your lips to God's ears *
by IrishLep  (2024-03-19 13:26:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could deliver it to the front yard of Jack's house (free of
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-19 07:49:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

charge) since he (and Garth Brooks) like it so much. Maybe they could split it!

That would be nice. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-18 20:19:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My thoughts exactly *
by garbageplate  (2024-03-18 20:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post