It's not a Catholic school. *
by irishcane (2024-03-19 10:21:27)

In reply to: When we moved to the area...  posted by DakotaDomer

This user did not provide content for this post

Maybe I shouldn't have said Catholic...it is Christian..
by DakotaDomer  (2024-03-19 11:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

right?

It's nominally Episcopalian...
by Scoop80  (2024-03-19 11:39:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In my time, the school day started w/ chapel, and there was a 1-semester theology requirement. The text was C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity." It was taught by the school chaplain--Fr. O'Brien. A "Fr. O'Brien" who was married and had kids was an utterly foreign concept to me.

On the whole, it was visibly less Epsicopalian than Marist was Catholic. At Marist, we regularly said an Our Father and/or a Hail Mary before classes. Day before '73 USC game, the son of Jack Connor (and nephew of George Connor) suggested that we pray for a ND win the next day when we stood up for the Our Father at start of history class.

Maybe 20-25% of the SAS students were Jewish then. I have no clue as to what it's like now.

Did you consider riding the bus down to Cardinal Gibbons
by Emil  (2024-03-19 15:25:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Ft. Lauderdale? Just wondering, as a number of my CGH classmates from Boca did that.

Yes, I considered it--there were complications involved...
by Scoop80  (2024-03-19 16:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in transferring at midyear, and I had already started at SAS by the time I got accepted at CGHS. My sister went there.

CGHS sent a LOT of students to ND & SMC in those days. They included Tim Healy, who was a walk-on hoopster who was on the '78 F4 team.

I remember Tim
by Emil  (2024-03-19 16:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't know him personally, but his sister Chris was in my class.