Linked is CitiField less than a week after 2 nights of
by Moff (2024-03-21 02:56:48)
Edited on 2024-03-21 08:38:01

In reply to: Baseball fields look terrible after concerts  posted by shea

Dead and Co last summer (I went to both and would feel bad if I messed up my favorite team’s field). The field looks great and perfectly playable for baseball let alone football.

(I say that as someone who once had to have a chipped tooth repaired after getting hit with a bad hop while playing shortstop on a poorly maintained field. As instructed, I had my glove down but the ball made an unexpected beeline to my face. Not as bad as the sizzling line drive that hit me directly in the eye socket while pitching. I wanted to keep playing until I saw the look on my brother’s face as he saw the aftermath. He told me to go in the house immediately and see my mother the nurse. I survived and got better at protecting myself as I got older, but I digress.)

By contrast, I recall how bad the field looked at Shea after an August 1992 Clapton/Elton John concert there, with completely dead grass where the main pathways were. That was the old technology in terms of protecting the grass. As you note, NDs events are nowhere near the football season, and in the case of graduation, involve a relatively small group walking on the field.