Fair or not, it probably is having a negative effect on
by tdiddy07 (2024-04-17 09:14:17)

In reply to: Yeah, that's what did it *  posted by jt

educational outcomes. We'll see what graduation rates look like in another couple years. But generally speaking transferring often makes it harder to graduate on time. There's good reason to think that free transfer rules for undergraduates will lead to lower graduation rates. Hopefully that's not the case.

I'm not arguing otherwise
by jt  (2024-04-17 12:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but to claim that everything was fine with the student part of "student athletes" until the portal came about is complete bullshit. Dexter Manley was (by his own admission) illiterate while attending OK State (finishing in 1981) and he never had any eligibility issues. That's just one example.

Rumor has it that a recently deceased USC star wasn't...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-17 13:41:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

exactly Dean's List material. More recently, a USC QB had a ballroom dancing class constitute his curriculum 1 semester.

Coach Prime allegedly didn't attend a single class in his final semester at FSU.

Obviously, this list is long, but we now appear to be headed to a U-23 FB league sponsored by universities

exactly
by jt  (2024-04-17 14:29:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and tutors have been doing guys' homework for an awful long time at a lot of these places.

The student part of student-athlete was always up to the individual, at most places. If you wanted to put in the work and get a solid degree, you could (as long as it didn't interfere with practice time). If you wanted to coast, you could.

the idea that the portal is the cause of these issues is laughable; one would need to start about 75 years earlier to start identifying the culprits. Of course I agree that Notre Dame was different (and mostly still is, even for guys we get in the portal).

My point is that ADs have largely dropped the SA charade
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-04-17 15:33:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that’s mostly because athletes have as well. The athletes are just transferring for playing time in most cases (and fewer cases more money) rather than an education. Yes, neglect of the “student” in student athlete has existed forever, but never on the scale at which it exists today where players are just annual free agents. It’s never been more prevalent at ND, and ND has historically been one of the most committed to providing its athletes with legitimate degrees.

I don't think that your point holds much water
by jt  (2024-04-17 15:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I specifically disagree with the idea that the AD's are simply following the athletes lead.

edit to add that I certainly understand and appreciate your frustration with the situation and I share your point of view on how this system is a mess right now. I just don't agree that blaming the players is the right place to start; this starts at the top of the hierarchy of the schools, not at the labor force.

This entire system is basically set up to benefit the schools first, the coaches second, and the players last. Nothing new about that.

Let me restate it
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-04-17 17:04:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the fact that athletes are now free agents and some of them are getting paid gives the ADs even more latitude to consider changes to the game that essentially treat college athletes like professionals. I agree that the athletes aren’t leading anything. I agree with your second paragraph as well.

fair enough *
by jt  (2024-04-17 17:12:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post