I wonder how long until they quit the dorms charade
by Nyirish08 (2024-04-17 22:11:28)

In reply to: New football "command center" coming  posted by El Kabong

Most players have had apartments or off campus capability freshman year for two decades. I wonder if the next step will include private housing.

The bond between ND players & student body was always...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-18 09:44:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of the distinguishing factors of the program. There was an obvious difference that jumped out at me shortly after I arrived at UF many moons ago. There, players were essentially hired guns who provided entertainment for the student body. I've long assumed that such a relationship was the norm at most upper level CFB programs.

In my experience, players living in dorms w/ other ND students, eating in the same dining halls, being regularly seen on the quads walking to and from classes, and (obviously) being in classes was why that bond existed. I have no clue as to whether the bond still exists, but it would seem to be more difficult to maintain it if the players are largely isolated from the rest of the student body.

I lived with 3. I doubt it exists beyond FR year now
by Btd  (2024-04-18 12:48:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect players are in off campus apartments at minimum SO year onward. Rules changed for what they can be paid for both rent and food years ago, so I doubt many stay on campus anymore.

I lived with 1 for 2 years, another 3 years and another 2 years. All three were on campus all 4 years. I lived in campus view my senior year.

a family friend played basketball at UF in the 1970s
by MrE  (2024-04-18 12:43:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to this day, he has a disdain for his alma mater because, in his mind, he was treated like a piece of meat.

The makeup of the student body has changed a lot
by DawsonMayes871  (2024-04-18 10:19:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can argue whether it's for better or worse, but there's been a distinct change as the standards have become higher and higher.

I think in many instances there's a larger and larger gulf between a "normal" student and someone on the football team. I'd also say the "normal" student experience has become much more intensified--as has being a part of the team--in the last decade plus.

When I talk to current students (or recent graduates) about what their days/weeks look like and all the things they're involved with it provides a very stark contrast to what my experience was like. On the football side there's been such an explosion of knowledge in terms of sports science, how to maximize your diet, your workouts, your sleeping habits all in the name of increasing performance.

And that's not to say there's no bond between the team and the student body. I'm just saying that my guess is there are less instances of guys on the team blending in to the sections of the dorms than there were 15-25-35 years ago. You still see them in class and work with them on projects, but they aren't slugging beers and playing video games on a random Tuesday night after parietals.

Thanks for confirming points I vaguely perceived *
by Scoop80  (2024-04-18 11:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

C'Bo was in theory on my kid's hall (Dunne)
by doolinbanjos  (2024-04-18 09:43:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He said he was never there. I've heard vague rumors as to how that worked, but I cannot verify them.