The older we get, the harder it is to deal with change.
by usaf_irish (2024-04-18 12:22:41)

In reply to: On the question of whether it has to be this way…  posted by FL_Irish

Much of the criticism seems to come from the older alumni who want things to be like they were in the 80s when they were students and college athletics were simpler. Now I won’t engage in the back and forth about that because everyone is entitled to their opinions about the state of college athletics and nobody is really going to change their minds on the subject.

Now, there is an undercurrent of “this isn’t what Notre Dame should be about” to the argument as well. That’s also a legitimate concern. But here’s my take on that argument. To this point, Notre Dame’s athletic alumni have been overwhelmingly positive ambassadors for the university. There haven’t been any Ja Morant, Antonio Brown, or Ray Lewis types that represent the school in a negative manner. Our athletes continue to absorb the greater lessons being taught to them and take those lessons into their post college lives and live those lessons. As long as that continues to be the case, than you won’t hear me gripe about a billion dollar football facility or a fat NIL deal.

Now the day that our athletes start behaving in a manner that embarrasses the University, than I’ll be the first one in line to bitch and complain.

Just my thoughts.

Replies: