How did ND get into the habit of hiring
by DrunkenIrishPoet (2024-04-18 13:44:50)
Edited on 2024-04-18 13:50:48

In reply to: I miss him  posted by drmurray

such mediocre people for key positions like AD and even President (I am not referring to our current AD)? Didn't this kind of start around the second half of Lou's tenure?

I knew a man who was a prominent alumni at ND and he attended ND in the early 1960s. He said that on the night before his first day at ND as a freshman, his older brothers came down from Chicago and took him out to a bar in South Bend and they got drunk, and he was under age. Somehow, and this seems incredible today, someone from the administration saw him at the bar and they actually moved to expel him from the university on the grounds of drinking underage and public intoxication. It boggles the mind that someone could be so petty. He was absolutely horrified and it looked like his life was more or less over as his expulsion was close to being finalized. Then President Hesburgh intervened and stopped the expulsion, took him aside and said "young man, stay out of the bars until you are old enough to drink." And that was the end of the matter. He was eternally grateful to Hesburgh who obviously saw the entire incident as ridiculous. This man went on to get two ND degrees and wound up on the Board of Trustees.

We don't seem to have too many Hesburgh's or Moose Krause's around anymore and it shows. The lack of good leadership in the last few decades has been devastating.

Replies: