I’m going to give you an answer which you might or might
by usaf_irish (2024-04-19 11:58:56)

In reply to: I don't think anyone is denying that players may be eating  posted by MrE

not find satisfactory.

Sports science is a field which has seen rapid growth over the 5-10 years. Nutrition, sleep, recovery, etc are all exploding in a rather rapid manner. The technology available has fundamentally changed the game so to speak. Programs from high school to the the pros are utilizing wearables to track almost everything now.

To my mind, this new facility will place Notre Dame in a position to leverage this new data and optimize both player performance and player health.

Now, is this a stated reason for the new facility? Most probably not. Most people don’t deep dive on this subject like I have (don’t ask why). It’s far easier to make generic statements that will be more easily digested by the general public. Is this also a deviation from the Notre Dame of old? Most definitely. But this is where sports are in 2024. We can either evolve or die.

You cannot articulate a reason why the food cannot be
by ACross  (2024-04-19 12:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

prepared and served and eaten at the North and South Dining Halls.

I suggest you might educate yourself on what alumni are trying to explain to you.

It is a bad, bad, bad thing to segregate and sequester the players from the student body for mealtime and for study time. Those are two things that should not be done with the team. If you can't understand it, then bow the fuck out and go listen to your weirdo teetotaling Andrew Huberman podcast.

The only real reason I can posit is the time involved.
by ndroman21  (2024-04-19 15:02:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's going to be a 30 minute or more round trip from the sports complex to the dining hall, right? With the packed schedule of a Division 1 athlete, one might argue that those 30-90 minutes a day (depending on how many meals need to be taken from the sports complex) could be better spent. Particularly during the season.

Another argument might be that the athletes are already eating later than the student body (thus the dining halls having special later hours for athletes) so they are already segregated by timing, even if they're sharing a space.

I tend to agree that having the football team sequestered completely in their own palace is counter to what has made Notre Dame unique. Of course, that has been slowly eroding for a long time.

It should be a one way trip
by ACross  (2024-04-19 16:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then to the dorm then to the library then party schooling and Im not fooling. Kegs ducks and grain. That's the ruling.

I agree.
by Kali4niaND  (2024-04-19 15:13:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its a nice idea to have all ND students co-mingle, but schedules need to be taken into consideration as well.

Football athletes are generally hitting the weight room first thing in the morning, before they head to breakfast. Practice is in the afternoon, before heading to dinner. So, there's going to be natural segregation just from that perspective.

Maybe the right solution would be to open up the Gug dining facilities to others so that our athletes can invite their non-athlete friends to join them for meals. Lunches can only be had at NDH/SDH since there aren't schedule conflicts.

Please feel free to find where I made any of these points.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-19 13:32:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a point of fact, I do happen to know quite a bit about dining is done for athletes and students at Notre Dame. If you would like to have that discussion, I am more than open to having it with you.

If you want to continue to insult me at every turn, you can sit on it and rotate. I’m frankly done with your childish taunts and sophomoric behavior.