I don’t ignore people I disagree with.
by usaf_irish (2024-04-19 12:12:56)
Edited on 2024-04-19 12:27:21

In reply to: Since this won't die, I'll set aside trying to be polite  posted by Grace91

That’s a very simple formula for not growing as people.

I’ll keep my reply as simple as I can.

I never meant to personally offend anyone. If it was taken that way, then all I can do is offer my honest apologies. I’m not attacking anyone. I feel like some people are taking a position that’s unrealistic and some people are very much gatekeeping what they feel Notre Dame should be and what they should do.

I’d love nothing more than to have an open and honest discussion with people who disagree with me. If we can do that, that’s fantastic. If we can’t, that’s fine too. I hold no personal animosity towards you, even if I do disagree with your position on this issue. I almost take no offense to what is said to me or about me on this message board. I’ve much worse said to me by people in real life. I’m here for discussion and fellowship.

I’ll end with a heartfelt Go Irish.

Thank you for the reply, and my apologies for mistakenly
by Grace91  (2024-04-19 13:29:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

assuming that you had put me on ignore.

I have not been shy about decrying the failure of leadership at the University - the president, BOT, BOF, AD, and so on. For me that is the fundamental problem that needs to be addressed. I believe that a strong leader who sets a vision and executes it can return Notre Dame to what it can and should be. I am concerned that such a leader is rare and Notre Dame may not find one.

I also am not trying to shout anyone down. I don't believe in that. I will reply as I did to you sometimes when I feel that a given comment was problematic. It was obvious to me on the face of things what the issue was, but I accept that my interpretation of it is my own, and others may not interpret it the same way. I'll say that I don't necessarily believe that, but that I accept it as a possibility. Regarding shutting down discussions or things that I don't agree with, If I am full of sh*t about not doing that and you find me doing it, by all means, call me out. I am plenty aware that I am nowhere near perfect.

Please be mindful of assuming that you know what someone is thinking. I have no idea what Andy is thinking. I don't know the man, and I can't tell you how much of what he posts is bluster versus honestly held opinion. I do think that he wants the University to be the best that it can be, and I read his posts with that in mind. Likewise for you and for everyone else here. Why else would we be here?

I don't expect or want things to be how they were in nineteen dickety-two. At the same time, I don't believe it necessary to build a newer Taj Mahal for the team. Surely there is a middle ground. See leadership comments earlier in the post.

Thanks again for the reply, be well, and have a good day.

We’re all here because we love this school.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-19 13:38:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We might have different reasons, but the love is universal.

I fully agree that leadership has been terrible. I also fear that it might never improve. I’m hopeful that it will.

Disagreement is the beginning of conversation. I firmly believe that. And if I cross a line, feel free to smack me upside the head.