How would we go about salaries?
by usaf_irish (2024-04-19 13:31:26)

In reply to: how can they possibly use the money to pay women's sports  posted by jt

I ask this question as a jumping off point. I don’t really have a solid idea, but would love to hear others thoughts.

would have to use the NFL as a starting point
by jt  (2024-04-19 13:33:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think. Kessler might have some experience in that arena, I would imagine. Would probably have to be some kind of revenue share/split of the pie. I believe that the NFL is around 53-47 in favor of the owners, but don't hold me to that. I'm not sure exactly what it should be for colleges.

How would we address different sports/class years.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-19 13:41:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For example, would we give freshman fencers less than freshman football players? Would women’s sports receive less than men’s sports?

And how does NIL factor in?

And overall, is there anyone in college athletics we trust not to royally screw this up?

I mean, there are a variety of potential situations and
by jt  (2024-04-19 13:53:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

solutions, but in asking those questions you need to assume that both sides would be dealing in a reasonable manner and in good faith.

I do not believe that would be the case, so I don't know how they'll approach it. I know the coaches hate NIL and they hate the portal and they are in favor of player compensation. Now, that doesn't mean that we have to do everything that the coach's say, as I am certain that they would be in favor of minimizing/eliminating academic requirements, etc. but it gives us an idea of what the guys who are in the trenches want when it comes to compensation--some type of agreement that pays the players and allows more control to the coaches. Whether the school presidents want it or not is a different story.