The dining hall menus are posted in detail...
by Kbyrnes (2024-04-19 13:34:52)

In reply to: Based on what they are feeding the regular students, I don't  posted by NDVermin95

...See here: South Dining Hall menus.

The choices are not exactly reflective of a whole-food plant-based diet, but there are resources to get fruit and vegetables. For dinner tonight,. for example, they list (as for every meal, it seems) apples, oranges, and bananas as fruit choices. A salad bar includes iceberg lettuce (thumbs down for that), spinach, and "locally grown salad greens." Under "Vegan," they list carrots, celery, flax seed, and almonds along with hummus and a few other items. The pasta stir fry allows you to choose tomatoes, broccoli, and mushrooms.

Our younger daughter ('20) lived in Farley and went to the NDH, and I ate there maybe a half-dozen time during her tenure, and got into the SDH, my old haunt, a few times as well. Is it foodie-quality stuff? Not really. Is it minimally adequate? I'd say so. Abysmal seems a bit more than how I'd describe it. There are also a lot of choices outside of the dining halls that include outlets that match the trend towards healthier quick-service food. For example, there was a Mediterranean spot in the Hesburgh Center where you could get a salad or a rice bowl with Naf Naf Grill-style toppings--garbanzos, baba ganouj, etc. Flip Kitchen in the Huddle area of LaFortune has rice bowls, salads, smoothies, and flatbreads. In the last several months I was there and had a Thai style chicken bowl with carrots, lettuce, Chinese cabbage, and other stuff.