How would we address different sports/class years.
by usaf_irish (2024-04-19 13:41:39)
Edited on 2024-04-19 13:43:24

In reply to: would have to use the NFL as a starting point  posted by jt

For example, would we give freshman fencers less than freshman football players? Would women’s sports receive less than men’s sports?

And how does NIL factor in?

And overall, is there anyone in college athletics we trust not to royally screw this up?

I mean, there are a variety of potential situations and
by jt  (2024-04-19 13:53:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

solutions, but in asking those questions you need to assume that both sides would be dealing in a reasonable manner and in good faith.

I do not believe that would be the case, so I don't know how they'll approach it. I know the coaches hate NIL and they hate the portal and they are in favor of player compensation. Now, that doesn't mean that we have to do everything that the coach's say, as I am certain that they would be in favor of minimizing/eliminating academic requirements, etc. but it gives us an idea of what the guys who are in the trenches want when it comes to compensation--some type of agreement that pays the players and allows more control to the coaches. Whether the school presidents want it or not is a different story.