During regular season play, we should embrace ties
by fontoknow (2018-06-18 11:55:37)

In reply to: Rules Committee recommends no more shootouts  posted by Hunt

there is nothing wrong with two evenly matched teams playing to a tie. The need to manufacture a winner and a loser is so unnecessarily American.

Ties let kids get home so they can study
by jbrown_9999  (2018-07-02 12:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know it is easy to forget, but these kids still are students so regular season ties are fine with me

I salute those of fashionable cosmopolitan tastes...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-06-28 17:19:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who relish a nil-nil final but the NHL (almost) has it figured. Ditch the tie; make it fun; and resist deciding it with a stupid skills context. Not every tie is a result of two equally-skilled teams having their equality reflected on the scoreboard. You play a game to win, as I recall. Or at least that is the common assumption by me - undoubtedly reflecting my "American" need to "manufacture" a winner. It's not "manufactured", by the way, if the winner does something better than the loser.

How do you deal with your own contradiction?
by DakotaDomer  (2018-07-09 04:30:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

resist deciding it with a stupid skills context

It's not "manufactured", by the way, if the winner does something better than the loser.

It is if the win is crafted in overtime *
by fontoknow  (2018-07-02 11:36:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Finally, I've found someone who agrees with me on ties.
by tusk  (2018-06-19 16:08:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is nothing wrong with regular season ties, and some of the greatest sporting events in history ended in times. See, e.g, the 1949 ND-Army game and the 1966 "Game of the Century" between ND and MSU. And the lack of overtime puts coaches to a decision and shows us who have guts. Would the 1988 ND-Miami game have been what it was if Jimmy J. could have just kicked the extra point and played for overtime? Jimmy has my eternal respect (and trust me, I'm no fan) for having the guts to go for two after the final touchdown (which really wasn't a touchdown, but hey)?

Especially when overtime differs from regulation
by SixShutouts66  (2018-06-21 18:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think there's a growing sentiment that ties are sometimes a fair indication of the game. especially when the overtime rules/method deviate from what's used in regulation.

OT basketball, baseball, and NHL playoff hockey just extend the game for some period of time until a winner can be decided. Admittedly endurance and quality of reserve players may be much more important in OT.

Tennis, college FB, and regular season hockey are the biggest culprits in playing a different game in OT, one that gives decided advantages to certain teams/players (big serve in tennis, running attack in FB, and 3-3 or shootout skills in hockey).