Big Ten adds a 3-on-3 overtime period (link)
by Boston Domer (2018-09-27 14:18:23)

Wait for the first injury during this meaningless playing
by other_guy  (2018-10-01 09:49:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

time and everything after the 5 minute OT will be eliminated.

Dislike all this OT / shootout stuff.

I strongly favor regular season ties
by fontoknow  (2018-10-04 09:12:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

extra periods only in tournament settings.

Why should hockey be different from every other...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-04 13:10:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sport? Ties settle nothing.

why does anything need to be settled in a regular season
by fontoknow  (2018-10-08 14:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tilt?

A tie actually reflects the outcome of the game. Two even matched teams playing to a stalemate.

Actually regular season soccer has draws
by SixShutouts66  (2018-10-04 23:55:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One other consideration is that soccer awards 3 points to a winner and one point to each team for a tie game. (NHL, of course, awards 2 points for the winner - outright or overtime and 1 point to the loser of the OT). I don't know if 3 points provides incentive for one team to push for a win or not.

Okay - but baseball, football, hoops, etc etc don't ...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-05 10:29:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and not to diminish soccer but the way the game is played OT's are unlikely to generate a winner anyway.

I think there are two ways to look at it.
by ugoirish  (2018-10-04 11:54:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One is the sort of 'hockey purist' approach which says in essence, why should we adopt a different approach to settling a tie (4 on 4, 3 on 3, shootout) than was used for the previous 60 minutes. Being a sports traditionalist in most ways I'm not unsympathetic to this view. But the other side of me sees that even in NHL games where the final outcome will be settled, teams get very conservative in the third period of tie games wanting to insure they get at least one point. It's frustrating as hell to watch teams just about stop skating and I can imagine how much worse it would be if the NHL went back to having ties.

To my mind the 3 on 3 OT is the best rule change the NHL has made in decades, including the red line change. It's remarkable how much more fun it is to watch than the old 4 on 4 OT's. I subscribe to NHL.tv and the first thing I do later in the evening when I get control of the TV is to find the games that went to OT and skip ahead to watch the OT period. And I love 5 on 5 hockey and have no problem watching a 1-0 or 2-1 game. Maybe some of my acclimation to it is from watching my daughter play summer 3 on 3.

Based on NHL experience ...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-01 10:21:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the 3 on 3 is pretty unlikely to generate injuries - too much space for that kind of contact. Injuries are more likely during the 5 on 5 OT, which I advocate ditching and replacing with the 3 on 3, like the NHL.

Do you have an opinion on using 3-on-3 in OT
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-10-02 11:50:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the postseason? I know committed purists would cringe, but since it seems calculated to lead to quicker scores, it might be fitting for the NCAA Tournament, as it would reduce the prospect of a team playing multiple OTs one night and then having to play again within 24 hours or so.

I don't advocate it in the NHL ....
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-02 13:30:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess in order to advance to the Cup you should "earn" the right - if that means 3 OT's in a game so be it. But I think it works great in an 82-game regular season, especially when each team will have a fair number of "back to backs". That rationale would favor doing something like it in the FF. Maybe 5 minutes of 5 on 5, then go to 3 on 3 till somebody scores.

To me it makes less sense in the Stanley Cup playoffs
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-10-02 15:13:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than it would in the NCAA tournament.

Yeah - that's my point ...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-02 18:13:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there are no back to backs in the Cup playoffs. There obviously are in the regionals of the FF. Nobody should have to play an opponent the next night after, say, a double OT. The odds are pretty strong that by 10 minutes of 3 on 3 you'll have a goal.

Moreover, except in game seven, it's the same two teams.
by Mr Wednesday  (2018-10-04 23:14:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they play three OTs, it affects both teams.

Yep *
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-05 16:23:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post