Based on NHL experience ...
by BIGSKYND (2018-10-01 10:21:51)

In reply to: Wait for the first injury during this meaningless playing  posted by other_guy

the 3 on 3 is pretty unlikely to generate injuries - too much space for that kind of contact. Injuries are more likely during the 5 on 5 OT, which I advocate ditching and replacing with the 3 on 3, like the NHL.

Do you have an opinion on using 3-on-3 in OT
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-10-02 11:50:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the postseason? I know committed purists would cringe, but since it seems calculated to lead to quicker scores, it might be fitting for the NCAA Tournament, as it would reduce the prospect of a team playing multiple OTs one night and then having to play again within 24 hours or so.

I don't advocate it in the NHL ....
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-02 13:30:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess in order to advance to the Cup you should "earn" the right - if that means 3 OT's in a game so be it. But I think it works great in an 82-game regular season, especially when each team will have a fair number of "back to backs". That rationale would favor doing something like it in the FF. Maybe 5 minutes of 5 on 5, then go to 3 on 3 till somebody scores.

To me it makes less sense in the Stanley Cup playoffs
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-10-02 15:13:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than it would in the NCAA tournament.

Yeah - that's my point ...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-02 18:13:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there are no back to backs in the Cup playoffs. There obviously are in the regionals of the FF. Nobody should have to play an opponent the next night after, say, a double OT. The odds are pretty strong that by 10 minutes of 3 on 3 you'll have a goal.

Moreover, except in game seven, it's the same two teams.
by Mr Wednesday  (2018-10-04 23:14:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they play three OTs, it affects both teams.

Yep *
by BIGSKYND  (2018-10-05 16:23:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post