Ohio State's arena used for OHSAA Basketball finals
by wearendhockey (2019-03-08 15:57:05)

March 21-23. I think that is why the Big 10 Championship game will be either March 23 or March 24, depending on whether or not OSU hosts it. I guess the NCAA tournament selection show is airing at 7:00 on 3/24/19, in anticipation of OSU hosting and the field of 16 not being set until the afternoon of the 24th.

That must be a change in philosophy
by Hunt  (2019-03-08 19:58:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know in past years Wisconsin has been in a similar situation, and they would have hosted games off-site at a different stadium.

OSU played the conference semi-final last year at
by wearendhockey  (2019-03-08 20:11:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nationwide Arena. The Bluejackets are on the road during but the arena is hosting the NCAA basketball tournament that weekend, so no way to have the game there. And as long as OSU can draw 4 or 5000 to a game, there is no way they will play the game at the old OSU Ice Arena, which bursts at the seams if you put 1000 in it.

That does sound familiar
by Hunt  (2019-03-08 20:27:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They played UM, right?

Wisconsin's old arena is decently sized, so that is a different situation than OSU's #3 option.

Yes, UM. Beat them in OT.
by wearendhockey  (2019-03-09 13:57:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wisconsin can probably still play at the old Dane County Coliseum (or whatever corporate name it goes by now) and it is plenty big enough. I think around 8 or 9000 for hockey and Wisconsin rarely draws that anymore (again, notwithstanding whatever the phony boxscore numbers are). I think they played games there within the last couple of seasons. Notre Dame fans who were around back in the WCHA days probably remember that place. Great college hockey atmosphere, fueled in large part by beer!

So let's hope final is on the 23rd - and we're hosting *
by NDoggie78  (2019-03-08 16:13:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post