I disagree on college hockey - until the past couple ..
by BIGSKYND (2019-03-09 14:41:25)

In reply to: I think some of Boston's attendance speaks to the city  posted by 96_ND

of years BC and BU generally drew good crowds. UML and Northeastern did, as well. You're right about other college sports but the falloff in hockey is recent and IMHO is not due to the appeal of pro sports.

Fair enough
by 96_ND  (2019-03-09 14:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have heard good things about games at BU, though I have never gone. One of my neighbors played hockey at Merrimack and I couldn’t tell you the last time he has been to a game.

All the conversations I have had recently about going to a hockey game has been about the Bruins. No one seems to care about going to a college hockey game. It is odd given the youth interest in the sport and the affordability of a college game.

Actually, UMass is getting some hype around Boston ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-09 15:06:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this year, given the season it's having. Of course, it plays its home games 90 miles away, so that isn't a Boston attendance issue. NESN still covers a fair number of HE games, as well. Merrimack is probably not a good example, in part because it's never had a consistently good program and because its rink is tiny. I just don't think that your correct generalization about pro vs. college fits the hockey niche. In other words, the recent falloff is likely due to something else.

NESN seems to have some individual deals with teams.
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-03-09 22:31:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For instance, there have been NU games on the channel this season that looked very much like they were basically produced by NU.