The Dylan St. Cyr roadtrip continues.
by wearendhockey (2022-05-17 09:56:22)

Michigan State announced he is joining the Spartans as a grad transfer for the 2022-23 season. I would think after MSU senior goalie Drew Deridder took the grad transfer route to North Dakota St. Cyr will be vying for the top spot in net at MSU.

I'm old and cranky and having a hard time getting used to college players having as many teams on the back of the cards as professional athletes. NOT saying it's wrong or unfair, it's just really different.

Just curious, but Could he have transferred back to us? *
by zahm82  (2022-05-17 19:45:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not a realistic possibility
by ndmd99  (2022-05-20 17:21:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

St. Cyr want a net that's his. With Perets coming back to Q, he would've been 2nd fiddle in his final year of eligibility. MSU is a good spot for him with minimal competition for playing time.

With Bischel returning and Jack Williams coming in, we probably don't have any scholarship room (or need) for another G.

Williams looks like a solid player. He and Bischel will have a tough battle in October to earn the starting spot:
1. We've had good success recently w/ G's from Waterloo (Cale Morris and Cal Peterson)
2. At 6'4", I think he's the tallest G we've seen at ND by a couple inches.
3. He was 3rd in GAA and Sv% in the USHL, but the guys ahead of him had the benefit of playing on far better teams.
4. He split the net at Waterloo w/ a guy headed to Clarkson. Williams had better stats than the other guy (1% better Sv% and 0.4 better GAA)
5. Despite splitting the net (fewer games) he was tied for 2nd in USHL w/ 3 shutouts.

I can't believe there would be a rule preventing it
by wearendhockey  (2022-05-18 10:05:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I doubt a team you leave voluntarily would be eager to welcome you back. I don't think there is anything wrong with seeking out the best path for yourself, but clearly at one point thinking your current team was not the best option makes me think most players want to play with someone who thinks they are the best option.