Has to be about the least interesting first round of an NCAA
by wearendhockey (2023-03-24 23:05:11)

hockey tournament I have ever seen. The 8 winners outscored the 8 losers 52-5. 4 Big Ten teams outscored the other 12 teams 36-21.

More stats. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-03-25 10:20:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even more stats
by wearendhockey  (2023-03-25 11:22:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From 2003 (the year the tournament expanded to 16 teams) through 2022, only 8 of 235 first round games featured a team scoring 8 goals or more. So far this year in just 8 games, 4 teams did it, and all from one conference.

Tech coach attributes it to portal/NIL
by ndmd99  (2023-03-25 09:00:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NIL isn't talked about much with hockey, but it seems like it's playing a role. I expect its effect mainly with the elite Logan Cooley type recruits.

Parity is a growing issue with NCAA hockey. If I recall, last year there weren't any 1st round upsets in the tourney (other than us -- 9 over 8 seed). I thought that mostly had to due with schools that could afford to go over the scholarship limit and the portal.

B10 athletic depts have a big advantage with TV $$. This year is a sign it may pull away from the NCHC and become the powerhouse hockey conf.

We can keep up with athletic dept funding. Where we'll likely fall behind is NIL.

Thank goodness for Cornell 2 Denver 0
by DakotaDomer  (2023-03-25 07:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Closest score of any game and down goes DU

Maybe all 4 of the QF games will be thrillers