Can't score when conceding possessions
by ndmd99 (2024-01-13 11:06:02)

In reply to: The "flee the zone" mentality is classic Jackson hockey  posted by wearendhockey

Agree it's classic JJ hockey. That is the problem. It worked in a prior era. And it looks to me like a change from earlier in the season.

Scoring is about chances. The more chances we have over our opponent, the more likely we'll win. This team is already challenged scoring goals. Intentionally losing the possession game (playing super-conservative on the blue line) will make our own scoring problem worse as it limits our own scoring chances. The best "defense" is maintaining possession in the opponent's zone (they can't score). It's also the best "offense" (since we might get chances to score).

The B10 is loaded with high powered offenses. We won't compete if we play conservative hockey.

In Dec, we beat OSU twice. We won the possession battle both games. SOG 46-35 and 31-26. Shot attempts 75-49 and 55-48.

Last night we lost the possession battle (SOG 28-37 and shot attempts 62-67). It's worse because we were passing up high danger chances (like the mind-numbing 3-on-1). And we lost the game.

It seems like a bad loss, but OSU is 24 in PWR. That's the problem with the B10. The depth is crazy. There really aren't "bad" teams. It's not the CCHA.

Our worst loss is #33 Clarkson (opening night). OT wins vs Mercyhurst and Augustana aren't the best, but they aren't losses.

There isn't a quick fix.

Goaltending recruiting is fine. Nick Kempf signed last Nov. Local Chicago kid. NHL central scouting has him ranked the top American prospect (and #2 North American prospect) for the 2024 draft. He has had a strong year with the NTDP (including some strong showings against the top-flight NCAA teams).

Jan 1 the coaches were allowed to start talking to kids that can commit next Aug 1.

This is Sheahan's real first full cycle to recruit kids that fit what he's looking for. I also think he had some solid commits already last cycle. Danny Klaers had a very strong showing last summer with USAH (brother Conor was our 3rd G in 21-22). Cam Aucoin was tendered by Muskegon (and has a brother who is a top rated D). Jimmy Jurcev is an overeager. Will come in next year. Injured right after he committed, but in the 1 game I saw he was the first D used in 3-v-3 OT (and if there's a poor man's tool to judge the type of D that we need to bring in...it'd be kids that excel at 3-v-3 hockey). Jaedon Kerr is another overeager who will be here next year (committed pre-Sheahan but didn't sign until this past Nov). He has shown some scoring this year, but in my brief viewings he was a little sloppy with the puck.

We have a new AD coming in. He has zero AD experience. I think it's crazy to expect him to make some massive shake-up with the hockey program by forcing JJ out. I still think we're in a transition to Sheahan running the program. Big part of that transition is going through this next recruiting cycle.

I do expect the incoming AD to put JJ's feet to the fire about a solution for forwards and the PP. Because the "solution" so far has been just to proceed with the status quo.