I don't know if this was mentioned yesterday on either the
by wearendhockey (2024-01-14 11:03:48)

radio broadcast or after the completion of the game on the TV coverage, but the officials yesterday deemed the dust-up at the end of last night's game to amount to fighting, issuing actual fighting majors -- and the game DQs that go along with them -- to Drew Bavaro and Jayden Davis. We can make do without Davis for a game but on a team that is sometimes reluctant to shoot a puck, Bavaro's absence will be a little more problematic.

Maybe I'm just too much a meathead hockey fan, or a little too old school, but did that tussle at the end of the game deserve fighting majors? Were gloves actually dropped and punches actually thrown? Call a couple of double-minors for unsportsmanlike conduct and toss in the game misconduct the rule book allows. That carries the potential of supplemental discipline if you get a couple of game misconduct penalties. I guess I hope Bavaro and Davis got their moneys worth since neither is playing next Friday.

There is video on Twitter.
by MobileIrish  (2024-01-14 15:58:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure how to link it here. I’ve seen much worse.

Link (link)
by TWO  (2024-01-15 10:17:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't see anything on that video that warranted fighting
by wearendhockey  (2024-01-15 11:58:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

majors and DQs, especially for Bavaro. Maybe something was out of view. Davis and his set-to partner each contributed to a nice take-down, and I could see some double-minors for roughing there, maybe even game misconduct penalties as I mentioned originally. I think this was a pretty severe overreaction by the referees. Maybe they were suddenly concerned about being unable to control the game once the clock hit 0:00.

I also understand needing to come down a little since the scuffle happened at the end of the game and without DQs there would be no real punishment, but game misconducts don't go away. You get a couple and they start suspending you for a game. Sort of a suspended sentence. I would be a lot more pissed if we were actually a good team and fighting for top spot in the league.

Think there may be an uptick in post-game scuffles
by ndmd99  (2024-01-16 15:52:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure if it's only B10, but I have seen a couple games where this stuff has happened near the final whistle. 11/4 UM vs UW was virtually the same melee as our scrap with OSU. Except the enforcement was a ton different (only 2 players penalized and no DQ....so no real punishment).

Without DQ, there's really no deterrent. But to seemingly change enforcement standards mid-season is BS.

Any penalties on the Ohio State guys? *
by TWO  (2024-01-15 13:15:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, they both got the same, fighting major and game DQs *
by wearendhockey  (2024-01-15 16:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post