You hit on what makes this different from Army or Yale
by Jvan (2011-09-14 10:37:11)

In reply to: This is really a terrible shame  posted by ACross

Those programs could not be sustained at their prior level as the game and circumstances evolved, but Notre Dame's downfall is entirely self-inflicted. One can argue the effect of higher academic standards but there is no good reason for this level of decline. We are still recruiting quality players, but we are bringing them into a culture where revenue is more important than win percentage.

A great piece of American history is systematically becoming extinct. Notre Dame football is now a punchline. The Yankees have become the Mets. The Green Bay Packers have become the Cincinnati Bengals. I'm just glad that my dad did not live long enough to witness this.

I'm going to do something else rather than watch MSU
by PengieP  (2011-09-14 10:37:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

gut the Irish again. Probably pick apples or grapes or take my dog to the dog park. Because I can't bear to watch another clusterf*ck like the last two games.

Football was not as important at Army or Yale.
by Flann  (2011-09-14 10:37:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Army and Yale were great American Universities whose alumni were leaders of the nation before college football existed.

I am sure that during the time Army, Yale, and other former powers were in their football glory, that their excellence in football added to the atmosphere on campus and was passionately discussed by alumni.

But football did not play the constant and integral role at those schools as it has at Notre Dame. I have a difficult time comprehending a Notre Dame without football.

Perhaps, it's a lack of imagination on my part, perhaps Notre Dame can go the way of Chicago,leave competitive football behind and continue to excel in other ways.

This whole thing makes me sad.
by tnirishfan  (2011-09-14 10:37:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was sad that BI wrote and felt what he feels, not because I think he is wrong but because I wish that thought had never entered his head.

Sad that I agree with him.

Sad that the administration doesn't realize that a win percentage would do more for their precious revenue than what they are doing now.

Sad that people get on here and say that if we just had a jumbotron or turf or whatever then this team would be better.

Sad that Kelly is who I thought he was.

Sad that I don't feel like watching the game on Saturday.