I tend to compare BBall posts to the linemen in Football
by cbiebel (2023-05-18 12:59:59)

In reply to: Thanks, and to cbiebel, I knew about Allen, but  posted by BabaGhanouj

Many years ago (like back in the Holtz era) I noticed what would often happen on ND boards regarding attitudes of some of the fervent, but not necessarily knowledgeable, fans to Offensive Linemen who were coming in, usually with a lot of accolades:

1. When they arrive at ND: "Great! An AA Lineman! Can't wait to see how he does on the field."
2. After their freshman year, when he was most likely redshirted: "Hey, he was supposed to be great. Why didn't he play?"
3. After their sophomore year, when he'd most likely get garbage time, if he played at all. "He's not playing much. I thought he was supposed to be great."
4. After his junior year, when he was playing a bunch, possibly even starting: "Well, he's starting to show some stuff after not playing earlier in his career."
5. After his senior year and all through his 5th year: "He's definitely All American material!"

And the player would get into the NFL and play for a few years there.

Obviously this isn't what would happen with every OL recruit, but it happened often enough to seem to make a pattern.