Athletic top 16 available xfrs: 1: KiKi I, 2: Beers, 3 Chen,
by Domerduck (2024-04-14 23:53:42)

4.Talia VO, 5. Poffenbarger, 6. Timea G, 7. Janiah Barker, 8. Lucy Olsen. 9. HVL, 10: Obi, 11. Ajae Petty. 12. Deja Kelly, 13. Latham, 14. Leila Phelia, 15. Shay Czieki, 16. Maddie Scherr. No Liza Karlen in top 16.

Pretty Amazing 3 Beavers top 6.

Lot of Brand Names Up There. Think ND Has Different Lens
by dillon77  (2024-04-15 09:06:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kind of like pre-season votes for All-American vote: go with who you know.
Sure, make the call and kick the tires on the big names (Kiki, Timea Gardiner), but have the next rung ready...for a more realistic fit.
Also, ND's not going to get three superstars (no one is), so if they get one, great. Still need at least two others.

ND presents challenges for both coaches and prospective players: The Irish need depth, but those top 7 are all very good players and four of them ('Liv, Hannah, Soni and Maddy) are simply superb. As ND67 often points out, there are 200 minutes in a basketball game. Where are those minutes coming from?

I think there are players that have done well as "the player" at their schools and while that might've gotten them All-Conference, they're good for one NCAA game or NIT at best. They might want to be part of winning team.

That's where players like Anna DeWolfe come in. Of course, Anna's role was a lot larger by year's end than anyone imagined due to injuries, but that's part of the gig. Be ready!!

That's where a Liza Karlen or a Caitlyn Wiemar or a Bronagh Power-Cassidy, grad. student from Holy Cross and Ireland. 5'10" combo guard and Patriot League Player of the Year who averaged 16.8 ppg and 5 rpg per game.

(Need a reference: call Melissa D'Amico Graves on both Weimar and Power-Cassidy. She coached one and against another.)

Good take, Just make sure whoever we get understands their
by Domerduck  (2024-04-15 13:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

roles. Still hope like many here one, two, or even three of these brand names want to join the Irish.

Mostly agree
by NPaulTodd  (2024-04-15 12:51:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only have a couple of quibbles. Fist is that Liza Karlen and Lucy Olsen aren't quite the same as Anna. Sure they aren't from a P5 team, but both are among the top portal players. Anna was more of an unknown.

The other disagreement is that Kiki Iriafen in particular is both a top player and a great fit. We have 4 entrenched starters returning and one position that is a bit more open. Keep in mind that plan A appeared to be for Kylie to return to split time with Kate, with Kate taking the reigns as a Sophomore. Iriafen can easily slot into that same role for a season, and honestly she could do it better than Kylie since she can play the 4 or the 5. Likewise, as a Stanford transfer, academics are likely not a big concern. On paper she looks to be about as good of a match as you can find, while also happening to be the top player in the portal.

Disagree a bit: Anna's stats and recognition were
by MountainMan  (2024-04-15 16:26:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comparable to both Karlan and Olsen. Anna was first team all conference three consecutive years and co player of the year, one year. 18+ ppg.

However, I do really like your portrayal of Kiki Iriafen and your thoughts on how she would fit at Notre Dame.

Have Edited Original Comment...
by dillon77  (2024-04-15 12:59:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..to show that I've got nothing against certain top names and bring up that I, too, believe Niele should call and kick the proverbial tires of certain well-known names.

If the Irish can get Kiki, I'll be high-fiving the mailman Timea Gardiner? Let it rip. (However, I can see her going to Utah to take Alisa Pili's place).

And, yes, I do think Iriafen can be part of a perfect three-person rotation with Kate Koval and Maddy Westbeld (if she's back) and/or Liza Karlen, if she comes, too.

However, right below #1 is #1and those can be a bit more fungible for the team-building that Niele has in front of her.

On that note, let's see what happens....

I thought your original point was clear
by mwayne  (2024-04-15 14:31:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think you or anyone else suggested not to pursue top players. Especially now, when they have a chance to make a very deep run. I personally would like to see ND get at least one top frontcourt player that can ease Koval's transition to CBB. Additionally, they need more bodies here for obvious reasons - foul trouble, injuries, etc.

Transfer portal business is much like speed dating - if one side is not feeling the connection or prefers to be elsewhere, you have to move on to the next transfer target, promptly. If the next target is not as well-known but the coaches believe can provide similar results, then so be it.

Hopefully, the coaching staff has a well-organized plan and can execute it.

Got It...And Agree.
by dillon77  (2024-04-15 14:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Need to go to plan 1A or 2 Quickly. Also agree that the most important piece of this year's puzzle is a post that can work with Kate Koval.
(Dang that injury to Kylee Watson: she looked like she was going to stay next year.)

High school players
by nd67  (2024-04-15 11:05:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are absolutely right about
these top players. How many
teams have a liv, Soni, Maddy
and HH to start out with. Top
players aren’t transferring to
be backups. This yr will be
getting quality transfers to
fit what Coach Ivey wants. But
ND can’t have more seasons
with only one hs recruit, need
2-3 every yr knowing you”ll
have some attrition, that’s
today’s environment.

Absolutely Correct on HS Recruiting Front.
by dillon77  (2024-04-15 11:24:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too many "whews!" on the HS recruiting front:
- Scoring a Hannah Hidalgo or Kate Koval
to
- Only getting one player ...and in the case of KK, then having her leave early.

Don't know if this is a result of:
- Aiming really high and either scoring or just missing out
- Not having enough coaching/staff resources to address the massive pressure of going after top prospects. It's only going to get more pressurized if WBB continues its popularity.

So, my gut:
- open up the lens a bit more and have 1A's and even some 2's.
- take advantage of NCAA rules and hire directors/staff to help Niele and Michaela with the whole research and recruiting of high school and transfers. This will include subtle forms of retention, too. (check with former AAU/high school coaches to see if current players are AOK).

Arms races are not just about prospects but the overall staff that help.

I agree in spirit, but not in this instance
by GriffinGold16  (2024-04-15 10:37:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The case you make is simple and very easy to agree with - the Irish have starters already, so anybody transferring is going to be a bench player and ought to be a really capable one who is looking to showcase themselves better. That's a much easier sell than asking a former superstar to come in and sit on the bench, at least.

Still, these transfers are different. The Oregon State team isn't all transferring just because; they clearly want to remain in power conferences. Likewise, Kiki Iriafen is leaving because her hall-of-famer coach is gone and there's no telling what the future will look like with Stanford in the ACC. It's a far cry from a transfer like Hailey Van Lith to LSU who was doing it for reasons not borne of necessity.

I don't think that ND needs to apply pressure on Kate Koval to perform right out the gate. Notre Dame has had a ton of success with freshmen in the past but there is no guarantee that they are always going to be elite from day one. I have faith in Kate, but would it be so bad if she wasn't thrust into a starting role immediately?

This is why I think ND should pursue Iriafen or Beers (yes I know there is speculation Beers is on her way to Storrs), or even Gardiner. Someone 6'3" or taller who can be in the starting lineup.

As for the 200 minutes conundrum, all three players had about 27 minutes per game this past season and that would still be incredibly possible next year if one were to enroll at ND. A rotation of 8 players can all go for 25 minutes a night, and then you have fresh legs at the end of the season, can navigate foul trouble with aplomb, lower the risk of injury from wear-and-tear. Yes, the minutes from the Big 4 may drop, but if there isn't such a dependency on them to be the Big 4, then isn't that a good thing? I'd much rather have that kind of depth than assume a baseline of the starters playing 33+ minutes each and getting a mid-major star to come in for 10.

I guess it's just a difference of perspective and I won't be disappointed with either outcome but I do think both perspectives are valid.

Well thought out post. I'd love ND to get one or even 2 of
by Domerduck  (2024-04-15 13:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

those Beavs pr Kiki. I totally agree with your logic "they clearly want to remain in power conferences" where they can compete for an NC. If they get Kiki, either big Beav would be a good add since Kiki & Maddie will be gone the following year so another year of Beers or Gardiner would fill a gap we have with top Big talent.

Not Against Calling the Bigger Names...
by dillon77  (2024-04-15 11:35:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..and in fact, I've said as such in most posts, including the last sentence of that post; particularly with Kiki and Timea Gardiner, whom the Irish both heavily recruited in high school. Should be a relatively cut and dried exercise to see if they're interested.

If either of those two come to ND, I'll be jumping for joy like anyone.

However, I don't think a lot of other top prospects are that interested in not being the hood ornament, so why not look for folks who want to be part of the entire team. The fact that a Liza Karlen was on campus is an indication of finding someone who could balance the "I/We" equation that is so necessary.

As for Kate Koval, I'll continue to take a stance that may be different than most:

- From everything I've read, Coach Ivey doesn't believe she's putting pressure on Kate Koval. Rather, she thinks Kate Koval is ready to contribute heavily to the Irish and make them better. Right now.

- Can she get better and can she use help? Yup. She could be backed up/spelled by players like this:

- Khadija Faye, grad. transfer, 6'4" post/power forward from Texas, who largely came off the bench in an abbreviated season to average 5.5 ppg and 3.5 rpg. Known as a rebounder, defender in Coach Schaefer's system. Could she offer that presence to ND? Went to Catholic high school in Florida so may be so inclined.
- DeYona Gaston, grad. transfer, 6'2" forward from Texas (as well) who averaged 8.4 ppg and 4.2 rpg for Coach Schaefer in under 20 mpg. Could she supply Lauren Ebo-type minutes? Both Longhorns might be looking for more time, but -- if not -- worth the calls.

Once again, I'm fine with pursuing the top guns, but they shouldn't be the first and main focus. The Irish have three slots to fill in my view and they've got to move....quickly and adroitly and with an understanding of who they can procure for the roster.

Go Irish! And stay tuned.

I thought Koval looked very good in that last all star game
by 2Domer  (2024-04-15 11:55:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have to admit. She’s not super quick but really skilled, it seems to me. I do worry about whether she might find herself in foul trouble against players who are quicker or who can body her up. It will be really fun to see how she does.

Koval
by knuteberg  (2024-04-15 12:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched and totally agree that she is very skilled and has a wonderful soft touch from three point range She has a high school body and really needs to begin university level training and nutrition. She will take time to develop like all taller bigger players in basketball. She will be a great player if she is committed to being one. She has all of the tools. I think ND really needs to get a big/center in the TP as I also agree that foul trouble will follow her this next year.

Excellent post. Your reasoning is logical and provides a
by MountainMan  (2024-04-15 10:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

different perspective. I will say it is hard to not want one of the top caliber players on the portal. We haven't yet done that, maybe it's time?

I agree with your premise
by mwayne  (2024-04-15 10:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fit is a two-way street when it comes to transfers. Everyone wants to play fantasy basketball and take all the top players without any consideration to fit, much less interest from the player. It doesn't work that way. I mentioned the other day that there are a number of variables players need to consider - academics (majors), roster construction and needs, coaches and how they'll benefit the player, level of competition and chance to win, NIL, etc. As a player, you need to ask yourself what's most important to you and what will make you happiest with your decision?

As a coaching staff with a chance to make a deep run next year, you aggressively target the players that can put you over the top. But you need to pivot swiftly if they're not interested. The portal has become a high stakes game of musical chairs. You have to be prepared and identify upfront all the players that you think can make a difference, then get as many as you can that fit within the framework of your team. Sometimes, that could be relatively big names, other times not so much.

Well stated. So you are good either way and so am I. *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-15 10:46:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely agree. We need quality depth and that precludes
by MountainMan  (2024-04-15 10:02:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the top tier names in the portal. I like your targets. Lesser teams or conferences, that have excelled at that level, but are willing to step up and play on a more limited role for a potential national championship. Anna was a perfect fit, if we can duplicate that in the two or three portal players we need, everyone will benefit. (Becky did not pan out and we can't have that happen again.)

Absolutely true! Top selections without a match to a team
by Anotherjoe  (2024-04-15 09:53:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are meaningless. Yes ND needs players but they don't need players that don't fit with the team or Coach Ivey.

And this is a shout out to Domerduck.

Why is there any surprise about the numbers from a team that is virtually disbanding?

It's not disbanding. The coaches are still there & they had
by Domerduck  (2024-04-15 18:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hoped their young team that had made the Elite 8 with everyone coming back that called themselves a family would make a run for the Final 4 and National Championship. The students decided as is their right to leave the school, but they could have successfully stayed. It's not like successful teams staying together when conference realignment forced them to go to worse conference hasn't happenned before and the most successful WBB team ever continued to thrive.

Most noteably, when UConn left the Big East Conference in 2013 after Big East football was truly disbanded (i.e. no more football ever to be played in the Big East), UConn temporarily went to a far worst WBB conference, the AAC, and yet still stayed together and won 3 more national championships for women and won 1 even for the men. Those are the only AAC bball championships the conference ever have had. The UConn women still went to the Final 4 every year they were in this lousy conference and compiled a record of 139-0 over their lousy competition. Other than UConn, AAC women' teams have never got past the 2nd round in the NCAA tournament. Also no other AAC men's bball team ever won an NCAA championships. UConn women and men's bball continued to stay together but finally decided basketball was more important than football so they went back to the Big East in 2021 as their football became independent. So clearly UConn going to a lousy conference because of football realignment did not force UCOnn to disband their basketball program.

On the other the hand the Beavers were going to the WCC which was a far better conference as WCC women's teams have already been to 6 sweet 16s and even 1 Elite 8. The Oregon State team just like UConn would have had a very good chance to repeat what they did in the NCAA's this year had they stayed together (like UConn repeated from 2013 to 2014) and probably even do better. By the way the men's WCC bball teams have also been far more successful than the AAC having won 2 NCs, 5 Final 4s, 13 ELite 8's and 21 Sweet 16s. On the mens side other than UCLA's dominance in the 60/70's, one might argue the WCC was more successful than the PAC12 for men, even though PAC12 women basketball was the best overall conference across more different teams in the country over the years.

The Beaver WBB team could have easily thrived in the WCC while they waited for the rest of realignemnt to pan out and possible reinstatement of the PAC12 in sports other than football. OSU/WSU are keeping the PAC12 alive with a $300M war chest from the leaving schools that will allow the conference to be put back together if done within 2 years.

AJoe, I just want to keep the facts straight on what's going on with OSU & the PAC12 even though I know you have a very clear dislike for all things west coast. You might be surprised to know that my politics aren't much different than yours given your profile. I am a Midwest guy who came to Oregon right after I graduated from ND and believe it or not from 1979 to 1987 Oregon had a Republican Governor and 2 Republican Senators. The state has gone crazy liberal since then, but Oregon State is still a pretty conservative Land Grant Agriculture & Engineering school. I know you seem to revel what happenned to the school and conference, but I find it very difficult and at least do not want to say it is disbanding. Now it will require rebuilding again much like ND had to do in 2021 but at least it still has the same coaches, for now.

Agree on this
by badelman  (2024-04-15 09:47:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While we’re all looking at the big names (rightfully so), I’d be surprised if we land more than one of them. I think maybe one big name post could happen but most likely any additions will be support players, like DeWolfe was meant to be. Like you pointed out she played a much bigger role than I’m sure was anticipated, and she did it well.

My thinking is under the assumption that Maddy does indeed come back for one more year.