I agree in spirit, but not in this instance
by GriffinGold16 (2024-04-15 10:37:37)

In reply to: Lot of Brand Names Up There. Think ND Has Different Lens  posted by dillon77

The case you make is simple and very easy to agree with - the Irish have starters already, so anybody transferring is going to be a bench player and ought to be a really capable one who is looking to showcase themselves better. That's a much easier sell than asking a former superstar to come in and sit on the bench, at least.

Still, these transfers are different. The Oregon State team isn't all transferring just because; they clearly want to remain in power conferences. Likewise, Kiki Iriafen is leaving because her hall-of-famer coach is gone and there's no telling what the future will look like with Stanford in the ACC. It's a far cry from a transfer like Hailey Van Lith to LSU who was doing it for reasons not borne of necessity.

I don't think that ND needs to apply pressure on Kate Koval to perform right out the gate. Notre Dame has had a ton of success with freshmen in the past but there is no guarantee that they are always going to be elite from day one. I have faith in Kate, but would it be so bad if she wasn't thrust into a starting role immediately?

This is why I think ND should pursue Iriafen or Beers (yes I know there is speculation Beers is on her way to Storrs), or even Gardiner. Someone 6'3" or taller who can be in the starting lineup.

As for the 200 minutes conundrum, all three players had about 27 minutes per game this past season and that would still be incredibly possible next year if one were to enroll at ND. A rotation of 8 players can all go for 25 minutes a night, and then you have fresh legs at the end of the season, can navigate foul trouble with aplomb, lower the risk of injury from wear-and-tear. Yes, the minutes from the Big 4 may drop, but if there isn't such a dependency on them to be the Big 4, then isn't that a good thing? I'd much rather have that kind of depth than assume a baseline of the starters playing 33+ minutes each and getting a mid-major star to come in for 10.

I guess it's just a difference of perspective and I won't be disappointed with either outcome but I do think both perspectives are valid.

Well thought out post. I'd love ND to get one or even 2 of
by Domerduck  (2024-04-15 13:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

those Beavs pr Kiki. I totally agree with your logic "they clearly want to remain in power conferences" where they can compete for an NC. If they get Kiki, either big Beav would be a good add since Kiki & Maddie will be gone the following year so another year of Beers or Gardiner would fill a gap we have with top Big talent.

Not Against Calling the Bigger Names...
by dillon77  (2024-04-15 11:35:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..and in fact, I've said as such in most posts, including the last sentence of that post; particularly with Kiki and Timea Gardiner, whom the Irish both heavily recruited in high school. Should be a relatively cut and dried exercise to see if they're interested.

If either of those two come to ND, I'll be jumping for joy like anyone.

However, I don't think a lot of other top prospects are that interested in not being the hood ornament, so why not look for folks who want to be part of the entire team. The fact that a Liza Karlen was on campus is an indication of finding someone who could balance the "I/We" equation that is so necessary.

As for Kate Koval, I'll continue to take a stance that may be different than most:

- From everything I've read, Coach Ivey doesn't believe she's putting pressure on Kate Koval. Rather, she thinks Kate Koval is ready to contribute heavily to the Irish and make them better. Right now.

- Can she get better and can she use help? Yup. She could be backed up/spelled by players like this:

- Khadija Faye, grad. transfer, 6'4" post/power forward from Texas, who largely came off the bench in an abbreviated season to average 5.5 ppg and 3.5 rpg. Known as a rebounder, defender in Coach Schaefer's system. Could she offer that presence to ND? Went to Catholic high school in Florida so may be so inclined.
- DeYona Gaston, grad. transfer, 6'2" forward from Texas (as well) who averaged 8.4 ppg and 4.2 rpg for Coach Schaefer in under 20 mpg. Could she supply Lauren Ebo-type minutes? Both Longhorns might be looking for more time, but -- if not -- worth the calls.

Once again, I'm fine with pursuing the top guns, but they shouldn't be the first and main focus. The Irish have three slots to fill in my view and they've got to move....quickly and adroitly and with an understanding of who they can procure for the roster.

Go Irish! And stay tuned.

I thought Koval looked very good in that last all star game
by 2Domer  (2024-04-15 11:55:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have to admit. She’s not super quick but really skilled, it seems to me. I do worry about whether she might find herself in foul trouble against players who are quicker or who can body her up. It will be really fun to see how she does.

Koval
by knuteberg  (2024-04-15 12:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched and totally agree that she is very skilled and has a wonderful soft touch from three point range She has a high school body and really needs to begin university level training and nutrition. She will take time to develop like all taller bigger players in basketball. She will be a great player if she is committed to being one. She has all of the tools. I think ND really needs to get a big/center in the TP as I also agree that foul trouble will follow her this next year.

Excellent post. Your reasoning is logical and provides a
by MountainMan  (2024-04-15 10:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

different perspective. I will say it is hard to not want one of the top caliber players on the portal. We haven't yet done that, maybe it's time?