Not Against Calling the Bigger Names...
by dillon77 (2024-04-15 11:35:56)
Edited on 2024-04-15 11:49:12

In reply to: I agree in spirit, but not in this instance  posted by GriffinGold16

..and in fact, I've said as such in most posts, including the last sentence of that post; particularly with Kiki and Timea Gardiner, whom the Irish both heavily recruited in high school. Should be a relatively cut and dried exercise to see if they're interested.

If either of those two come to ND, I'll be jumping for joy like anyone.

However, I don't think a lot of other top prospects are that interested in not being the hood ornament, so why not look for folks who want to be part of the entire team. The fact that a Liza Karlen was on campus is an indication of finding someone who could balance the "I/We" equation that is so necessary.

As for Kate Koval, I'll continue to take a stance that may be different than most:

- From everything I've read, Coach Ivey doesn't believe she's putting pressure on Kate Koval. Rather, she thinks Kate Koval is ready to contribute heavily to the Irish and make them better. Right now.

- Can she get better and can she use help? Yup. She could be backed up/spelled by players like this:

- Khadija Faye, grad. transfer, 6'4" post/power forward from Texas, who largely came off the bench in an abbreviated season to average 5.5 ppg and 3.5 rpg. Known as a rebounder, defender in Coach Schaefer's system. Could she offer that presence to ND? Went to Catholic high school in Florida so may be so inclined.
- DeYona Gaston, grad. transfer, 6'2" forward from Texas (as well) who averaged 8.4 ppg and 4.2 rpg for Coach Schaefer in under 20 mpg. Could she supply Lauren Ebo-type minutes? Both Longhorns might be looking for more time, but -- if not -- worth the calls.

Once again, I'm fine with pursuing the top guns, but they shouldn't be the first and main focus. The Irish have three slots to fill in my view and they've got to move....quickly and adroitly and with an understanding of who they can procure for the roster.

Go Irish! And stay tuned.

Replies: