For Your Consideration: Maryam Douda, 6'4" Forward- Arkansas
by dillon77 (2024-04-26 18:11:57)

So, Caitlyn Weimar is headed to ACC Rival NC State to help fill the places of River Baldwin/Mimi Collins. Liza Karlen posts pictures of her working out with Marquette...are they old? Or is she practicing while still in the portal. What's a Bencher to do?

Well, scan the recent announcements .... again.
And this is what I found in terms of players that live in the paint.

Maryam Douda, 6'4" forward, who finished redshirt soph. year at Arkansas

- Appeared in and started all 33 games, playing 946 minutes (28 mpg)
- Scored 10.1 ppg, shooting 45% from the field (32% from three) and 67% from FT line.
- Snared 6.3 rpg, had 24 steals and blocked 74 shots (By contrast, Kylee Watson led the Irish with 44)
- Played in McDonald's and Jordan Brand Classic All-Star games in 2021
- Part of large exodus from Coach Mike Neighbor's team (why?)

Reasons for suggesting her:

- Defense, whether in zone or man to man. Having a top-flight blocker allows the guards to be even more aggressive on defense, knowing they have help behind them. Also takes some pressure off other front-court players to "do everything." Dauda can free up Kate Koval to eat space and rebound.

- She doesn't shoot a lot, but still led Arkansas in shooting percentage from the field.And for a rim-protector, her three-pt. percentage isn't bad.

- Brings very good height to work with Kate Koval and Maddy Westbeld. She'll be around two years to work with Koval, once Maddy moves on.

- Hard to get the SEC players to leave the conference, but worth a call if interested in a different kind of complement to the front line. Plus, if memory holds, she was on ND's radar at some point in the high-school process.

Very good rebounder and shot blocker. Had 10 blocks in
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-27 18:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Alabama game. Would help fill our needs. Will she leave the SEC. Father played pro ball in Belgium.

Whatever Niele's selling no one is buying. The only hope
by MountainMan  (2024-04-27 01:43:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that there is someone that we don't know about that is coming. Right now that doesn't look likely. (We don't just need a body, we need a quality player or two.)

I think fans need to look at things like players might.
by ndbutch  (2024-04-27 16:30:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That applies to women and men. These players are receiving overtures way before officially entering the portal. What big was ND contacting with Koval signed and Watson still healthy before March 9? The lure wasn't strong enough to sway Nat Marshall's "It's time for me to move on" proclamation as she'd likely had the same conversations with Ivy as Olivia Miles and other players in wake of the bad transfer rumor. With Olivia giving her blessing to confirm she was coming back on 3/6. I don't believe Nat got the same open arms embrace to return. Strictly my opinion. And while I don't believe that Nat is a petty or vindictive person she is human. And "too bad-so sad" wouldn't be a far fetched reaction.

Then you have to turn on a dime and portal recruit after your season ended 3/29. But you still have a 6-5 McDonalds A-A while NC State's big's are gone.

That's without factoring in NIL.

At times this all seems so overcomplicated. I hope that
by MountainMan  (2024-04-27 16:52:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nat left without hard feelings. It had to have been a difficult decision.

The one thing that brought up the possibility of possible " hard feelings, is the fact that she did not attend the awards ceremony. That was a tribute to this years team, her friends and team mates.

And, Conceivably, a Tribute to Her Accomplishments
by dillon77  (2024-04-27 17:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what made me a little sad: the "I/We" factor.

ivey has to be careful in the recruitment of Xfers
by quasimodo  (2024-04-27 16:04:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She probably made some assurances re: minutes to get Maddy and Koval to play here next year so she can't backtrack to promise starter's minutes to the TP bigs. Id she does she runs the risk of pissing off Maddy or Koval when they find out.

So what she's probably selling is a chance to be a rotational player on a possible final 4 team. Nice but not a starring role that a lot of the quality Xfers are probably seeking. Especially those with just one year left to play.

This also puts pressure on recruiting for the next cycle since we need numbers there too.

Q

Bingo *
by dillon77  (2024-04-27 17:12:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are a few forwards/posts out there who are capable
by MountainMan  (2024-04-27 16:59:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of being a starter here next year, but they certainly couldn't be promised that. It has to be earned. If they have enough confidence that they think could break into the starting line up, go for it. At the very least they could/would play significant minutes and contribute to a team that has the potential to play for a national championship.

ND is a special place
by jamnd74  (2024-04-27 09:58:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not a doom and gloom type of man. Notre Dame is a special kind of university and most people would not attend. Every person who enters the transfer portal is not a candidate for ND. I read this board multiple times per day seeking information but I realize that each transfer player makes their own decision. I'm disappointed when someone like Weimar chooses a different school over ND, but I don't blame our coaches for her reasoning.

Good point. I'm not sure my intent is to blame anyone.
by MountainMan  (2024-04-27 10:17:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, there are number of teams that have built an "all star" type team each of the last couple of years, from the portal. (LSU, Louisville & Maryland for example.) They have three or more quality players from the portal and they get them to commit, early on. It implies they are being more successful and the question is why?

I will say, that our situation is somewhat different, we have a solid roster returning with four starters, so N.D. is in need of just adding two rotational players. Currently we only have a roster of eight. (It is perplexing that we should be there with all that can be highlighted, as why to commit to the Irish.

I agree
by jamnd74  (2024-04-27 14:43:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we definitely need at least two more players. ND, as a university, is not conducive to having an all-star team approach through the portal. I think we'll always have a core based on recruiting.

Coach Ivey Believes in an Integrated Team ....
by dillon77  (2024-04-27 10:33:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..yes, they have some superstars but she's always spoken about the collective unit and how the players need to be cool with each other.

Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi - among others -- are seeing people go out of and come in the door so frequently you should play "This Year's Model" while studying their rosters.

Niele had 10 and sans the injury to Kylee Watson and leaving of Nat Marshall, probably would've stayed pat. That said, she needs two to get by. I've got some suggestions in another post. We'll see what works for Coach Ivey and the team.

I'm with you there
by jamnd74  (2024-04-27 14:40:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely need a minimum of two front court players and maybe one tweener.

I look forward to your next post. *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-27 12:02:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes 10 is the minimum
by Knuteberg  (2024-04-27 11:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know that it was posted/stated that most championship teams only play 6-7 players but you do need ten to practice 5 on 5 and allow for the minor injuries during a season that keep a player out for a game or a few games. Also I think that there is a need for added rebounding and interior size and defense to rotate with MW and Koval. While I have no inside information, like most on this forum, I think that the best players that ND would like in the TP have not yet committed ie: Kiki I, Beers, Gardner and King

Those Championship teams might have ended with 6-7
by bohratom  (2024-04-27 15:43:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players but they began with at least 10 before injuries and other issues reduced playing time. Like others have said we need at least 10 (I'd like to see 12) to start the season as we always lose some to injuries every season.

Not sure why people take KK for granted.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-27 07:34:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She most certainly bought into what Niele was buying. There have been a whole lot of delusional posts about Niele bringing in all these top players willing to sit the bench. It’s just not realistic. KK has aspirations of being the kind of player that everyone so desperately wants to see Niele bring in. And she may be. But she’s had to wait her turn.

Niele has a big to bring in still. I was never particularly sold on Weimer. Nor Karlen - other than as a spark off the bench or rotation player.

Kiki was probably not realistic. Especially if she was no contact.

If Niele lands Gardiner, then it would be a superb addition. We’ll see.

Of course I’ve said many times that just keeping KK and Nat would have been a great outcome.

I don’t k

We are talking two different situations. Our roster is
by MountainMan  (2024-04-27 07:51:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

currently at eight. I think most if not all would agree that we need at least ten. My take is one starter quality player and one rotational back up.

KK, Emma and Cass are all yet to be determined. Emma and Cass lost an entire season, so they will be recouping to get back to where they were and only then can they progress. KK was not nearly as good as she was as a freshman. If she gets back to that form then she will be a big contributer.

But you aren’t acknowledging the obvious.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-27 16:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have three guards that will play significant minutes. Niele was recruiting someone who could rotate in the 2/3 spot. She had Emma and Cass already. There was room for another guard. It was KK. And I’m glad it was.

I think she’ll now add another 4/5. Possibly Gardiner or someone of starter quality.

I know that everyone here *wants* another player. Assuming we get someone like Gardiner, what exactly do you think Niele is selling?

Results will demonstrate whether she has been successful.
by MountainMan  (2024-04-28 01:06:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last year was marginal. The portal is too important not to benefit from, in a significant way. (I'm not saying it's a lack of effort.)

It’s a legitimate question to you.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-28 10:14:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What do you think Niele has to sell (besides the constants: ND degree, history, fan base, etc)?

Everyone wants to talk about the players they want. What is Niele (or should be)selling in your opinion? To a post and another guard/winger respectively.

It Does Make One Wonder About Situation, Approach
by dillon77  (2024-04-27 07:05:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So far, the focus -- what little we know of it -- has been on grad students:
- Aaliyah Nye: Back to Alabama
- Caitlyn Weimar: NC State
- Liza Karlen: crickets (and it's been awhile since she allegedly visited)
- Liatu King: No word after visiting on Tuesday.

A few (il) logical deductions:
- These players see the 8 returning Irish starters/subs and wonder where the minutes will come from, even though the Irish are bareboned at the forward position.
- Coach Ivey, by going after grads, is apparently going "one and done, and all for one" in 2024-25 then starting fresh in 2025 with high school recruits. Save for a great get with Kate Koval though, the bench has a lot of openings.

Plus:
- For many of the Grad Transfers, they're operating in control: they've got degrees and are looking for the right situation. As Ram note, they're like grads with multiple job offers. The good ones, at least.
- Also, ND is a special kind of place: Many of us on this board are alums and love the place. But it's not for everyone. And Coach Ivey is adamant that she wants a good fit between candidate and the team, her philosophy and the school.

Perhaps:
- Hope Coach Ivey has an ace up her sleeve (Gardiner, Iriafen).
- Change focus to players that could be here for more than one year, which would benefit the team and the player.
Examples: Maryam Dauda, Mary Ashley Stevenson.
- Or, find players that wouldn't mind a (very) different role than they were used to last season. Ivey went one for two last year: Anna DeWolfe was a great win; Becky Obinma, not so much.

Once again, ND has eight scholarship players. With KK Bransford returning, still need at least two players.

Need break and will watch ND men's lacrosse finish regular season at UVA.

Go (all) Irish!

For these youngsters, it is no different than getting
by ram  (2024-04-27 07:16:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Various job offers upon graduation. Where do I want to spend the next year or 2 and how much can I make

they aren’t like NBA players who seem eager to join teams loaded with stars for a chance at a ring

Dauda originally committed to Baylor/Mulkey but opened...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-04-27 06:41:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

up her recruiting when Mulkey took the LSU job. I wonder if her portal status is Do Not Contact and who might be the frontrunner.

Poor Arkansas, no returning starters (unless some players withdraw from the portal) and they are losing about 63 ppg to the portal in addition to Wolfenbarger. Are things really bad there or was this just a domino effect where the good players didn't want to be the last one to abandon ship?

The portal has opened up a whole new world. *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-27 07:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here's Interview with Ark. Coach Neighbors on Transfers...
by dillon77  (2024-04-27 07:24:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The multiple-transfer situation is mentioned, as was Covid. This is the last year of the latter.

Neighbors:
“The main change was the multiple transfer rule. We all have dealt with the transfer portal. We always had one, but the multiple transfer rule is a game changer and you couple that with the introduction of name, image and likeness and you do all of that coming out of covid.

“Put all that and you just knew there were going to be times like this. But we have been prepared for it.”

Full article linked below.

BTW, I have not seen a "do not contact" associated with Dauda's transfer portal announcement, so she should apparently be open to calls. Once again, getting these SEC players out of conference is pretty tough, as well as the Texas kids out of the Lone Star State (if they left once, they always seem to go back...). Dauda is from Arkansas, but I could see her headed anywhere from LSU to one of the Mississippi schools.